Snook are in.

Flamingo to Big Bend
CoonHound53

Snook are in.

Post by CoonHound53 »

Launched yesterday evening at 6:30pm on the east side of SRQ Bay. The tide was incoming, and had just changed a little over an hour ago, the current was steadily moving south. We fished the oyster/grass flats at sunset, trying many different lure types. We waded up and down the oyster bar casting towards the bay, working the lure in. We were using a small array of lures - few top water combos, mirrodine, and spoons. The bite was very bleak and wasn't able to get anything to eat. Looking around at the handful of waders, this seemed to be the case for everyone on the flats. After sunset, the wind and the chop calmed down to glass. We made our way back towards the dock lights. The lights were ON and Fish were ACTIVE. This was one of the busiest nights I have seen at the lights, one light in particular had a very large school of juveniles, I swear had to be over 50 in there. I mostly used a Mirrodine lure throughout the evening. I got a lot of follows and a few bites. I had two larger line sliders shake the lure out after a quick 8 sec fight. After a long night, and not landing anything, I decided to pack it in. One my way in I approached my "last effort" light right before the launch. This light is unique. It is not under any dock or structure. It's almost as if the owner of this light tossed it as far as he could towards the bay. The fish have at least 20 feet from middle of light to dock. As I approached I noticed a few smaller snook creepin' around. I tossed the mirrodine a few times, then figured I would go back to my roots, what I caught my old monster on. I tied on my secret weapon (all I can say is - its a very hard to find top water lure). I cast the top water about 10 yards past the light, walkin' the dog towards my kayak. As I cross over the light - nothing, just as I get on the perimeter "dark side" SPLOOOOOSHHHHH!!!! Huge FISH!!! Fish ON. This snook must have jumped at least 4 times, before settling in for the fight. I am doing my best to keep boat away from dock and snooky is doing his best to get to the docks. He was winning, thanks to my non anchoring anchor?!?!. He wrapped himself around the dock piling and was stuck nose first against the wood. I was very delicate to grab my net and scoop him up before my line gave. He didn't even fit in my net, I cut the line away from the piling and start to work on getting the lure free from the beast. He measured 34" overall and was revived and released back. It was a great ending to the slow trip. I will catch him again. Image
Last edited by CoonHound53 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.
JoeS

Re: Snook are in.

Post by JoeS »

Nice Report.....Good job on reviving the fish.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Sounds like fun. It looks like the image you posted failed.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

Yea.... How do I post the image. I can not find the thread that shows how to.
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

Here ya go:

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 55&t=10872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

Figured it out!!! Pic is up.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Still no pic...
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Excellent, I know what time I'm going fishing next.
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Good news, and a great report. Congrats.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia