Easter Morning

Flamingo to Big Bend
Edward

Easter Morning

Post by Edward »

I thought I would catch a Easter morning sunrise on the ICW and maybe find some reds cruising the last hour of the outgoing tide close to my home. At 7:00 am as I was approaching my targeted area, I noticed a school of something off to the side in maybe 6" to 8' of water. I'm thinking Jacks but the school wasn't really thrashing like Jacks. Throwing a red/white Mirrolure top pup, bam. I was stunned, this thing was huge, after 5 minutes of kicking my can I go limp. It straightened out the ring that held the now missing upper treble hook to the lure. The school had moved away about 50 yards. I set up and threw the top pup minus a treble back in there. This time I see a tail and I'm guessing Jack and again, bam. At least ten minutes had passed and I got it maybe within 30' of me but couldn't get it off the bottom, the closer he got, the harder he fought, then suddenly he shook the hook. I haven't felt outmatched with my tackle in a long time. My personal best on Jack is 8 lbs and a pair of 6's so I'm not stretching the truth, assuming they were Jacks, had to be at least 12 to 15 lbers easy. Had one other blow up but missed it. Other than a teenage red on a mirrodine later, that was it.
It's an Easter morning I won't soon forget.
Not Quite

Re: Easter Morning

Post by Not Quite »

Hey but you got a red at least! Good day in my book. I havent hooked a red in a couple years, can't seem to ever find any :scratch: