Yep, they're here

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Yep, they're here

Post by Rik »

Launched at Casperson...or was it Longboat key? Come to think of it, it may have been Nokomis Beach. It was dark, can't recall. In the water at first light.

Bait was easy (for me) and while my fishing buddy was still trying to get his first pinfish, I got my first tarpon. Didn't have it long as it half jumped and spit the squirrelfish back at me.

Not long after my fishing buddy raided my bait bucket, I hooked another and this one was stuck. Some tarpon come easy and some don't. This one fell into the 'don't' category. I had her alongside 4 times, sliding her backwards and then she'd wake up and take off again. Had leader in the tip a dozen times. She just wouldn't quit.

On the 5th alongside she did that wake up thing again and tail slapped my line into submission.

It was after I'd let him raid my bait bucket that my buddy told me he didn't have a camera. If he comes on here and says "what tarpon?" he'll never again get bait from me.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Yep, they're here

Post by DaveR »

Hmmm. No photographic evidence. I'm gonna poke you in a few places tomorrow and see if you're sore.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

If you hit sore spots, and there are a few, I'll poke back.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

It was Venice beach. I was on the pier watching you.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Beaches.....they all look the same.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

You guys keep poking each other you'll need to get a Room...... :?
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

We poked several more tarpon this morning. Great aerial shows from some big girls. Shamus claims he landed one but he was anti-social and moved a half mile away. He was a blur. Maybe had had his camera today.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Sounds like it is going to be a good season for you guys.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Hope so Joe. Last year was a slow start and ended with a bang. This year seems a bit faster on the uptake. Tomorrow is another day. I'm 0 for 2 Damn it!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.