Breaking in SUP - 5/23 - 24

Flamingo to Big Bend
Triton

Breaking in SUP - 5/23 - 24

Post by Triton »

Picked up a SUP last week and put it to work for the first time this weekend. I've wanted one of these for a while, but recently got serious about adding a SUP to the fleet. Worked with Dakota & Steve at Water Sports West - a great shop, extremely accommodating, I'd highly recommend this place. I originally wanted to trial the Ahab, but they don't demo or rent the Ahab. Decided to trial the Rackham at their Saturday demo day to see if it was something I'd liked. I enjoyed the Rackham, but still wanted to demo the Ahab. Steve set up a side by side demo of the Ahab and Rackham to help me decide which board I’d like better. The Ahab won out due to its increased stability (the Fiancé even agreed).

Went to an area I haven’t fished in a few years, winds were up, morning tides weren’t the best, but I was still looking forward to getting out and possibly pulling on a few fish. It’s amazing how something new can often re-engage your interests. I haven’t been consistently fishing for the last several years (new job, girlfriend, house, promotion, engagement, wedding planning…ok…budgeting for wedding, etc.) and I’m hoping the Ahab will re-energize my passion for fishing. Spent most of the morning getting use to paddling, poling, and how the boat drifts. Had a few blowups on topwater, but nothing connected. Once the sun got high enough, I started keying in on the large mullet schools which were also holding redfish. Saw probably 20 – 30 fish, but getting them to eat was difficult due to dirty water, boat traffic, and a hawk that was working the mullet school all morning. I was able to pull on a few of them, including an over-slot which was sight casted 15 yards away from the SUP. Went back the next day to see if I could put my dad on a few. Didn’t see near the number/size of fish, but we put 3 lower-slot fish in the boat before calling it a morning.

Hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day – remember those who’ve made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

If I didn't spend it on fishing, I would just spend it on a psychiatrist.
DoubleM

Re: Breaking in SUP - 5/23 - 24

Post by DoubleM »

That SUP looks sweet! Liking it way more than the ultimate? If so, how about on windier days?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Nice looking Bote.. I like the Ahab and have a friend who has one. How much difference did you find in the Ahab vs. the Rackham, and did you test paddle the HD also ?

Like that leaning post...
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Nice rig!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Triton

Post by Triton »

Right now, I like it more than the Ultimate since it's something new. But it's really a different tool, each have their pros and cons.

The wind doesn't catch the board itself since it's so close to the water, but you can definitely feel the wind when you add the cooler, are sitting on the cooler or kneeling on the board, and it's obviously worse when you are standing. Paddling sitting/kneeling it's probably comparable to the Ultimate as far as the wind goes. Where it really shines is stability, tracking, and polling. If I'm in the shallows, I'd much rather have the push pole in my hand due to the increased efficiency (pushing against water vs. bottom).

Ahab vs. Rackham - they were close in most areas with a slight edge for the Ahab in speed, tracking, glide, etc. But where the Ahab really stood out was in the stability and capacity. The extra 2 feet length and additional width made for a much more comfortable paddle. I'm new to SUPs and probably not as light on my feet as some, but there were times when the Rackham got a little shaky. However, I liked the Rackham, and would have purchased had I never stepped on an Ahab. Didn't get on the HD but they were available for demo.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Alright, blood on the deck! nice rig.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

Lately I have been considering trading in the kayak for a SUP. What's the total cost for your board, paddle, and rigging? If you don't mind telling me. I want to know what kind of investment I will be looking at.
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Compare the stability while sitting and paddling the SUP to the stability of the Ultimate, please
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

When those things first appeared I though that was the dumbest thing I ever saw, but, admittedly they are growing on me. I still think I would rather have a kayak though, a SUP is okay for a short trip but if you need to cover some ground I would rater have the kayak. I really need to look at one of those natives though my old sit inside is pretty out dated but I like being able to just toss stuff in the back and not having to worry about securing everything and worrying about stuff falling out, that is what is attractive to me about the native. basically a low side canoe, but somehow gets called a kayak, I think.
Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

sfurman wrote:I like being able to just toss stuff in the back and not having to worry about securing everything and worrying about stuff falling out, that is what is attractive to me about the native. basically a low side canoe, but somehow gets called a kayak, I think.
Hybrid. I like how light it is as I roof top and 14.5 is an easy load at 55lbs or so. It's very nice for fly fishing as the boat is your stripping basket. Standing is nice too but I'd recommend checking out the slayer. It's heavier but I think the scuppers would be comforting, especially for offshore/deep water or rainy days.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Triton

Post by Triton »

SUP - 2,400 (I believe the Rackham was 200 less)
Yeti & Paddle clip - 310
Fixed Carbon Paddle - 260
Tackle Rack - 200
Fin & Leash - 95 (standard surf style fin is provided, but I upgraded to a shallow water fin)
There's areas you could cut to get the price down and/or spread the cost out (Yeti, Tackle Rack, standard fin and paddle, etc.).

Rik - it's been so long since I've fished in my Ultimate, I may not be giving the best comparison. Tell ya what, 1) get the FD Paddle-In scheduled and I'll do my best to be there or 2) pick a weekend and name the time/place (I work M-F and have to work the weekends 5th - 8thish due to month end).

One thing that took some getting used to was the drift. Because of the hard lines, bow, and fin, the board tracks very straight. This causes it to drift straight down wind (vs. the sideways drift of most kayaks). There were times when staking out or dragging a foot were needed to stop or slow/angle the drift. One thing I didn't try which the shop told me about was shifting weight - forward puts the nose in the water and tracks, back gets the nose out of the water and helps you turn.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

If you have ever wind surfed, shifting your weight forward and backward is basically how you steer it. Well with the sail anyway.
Steve
floridalawdog

Post by floridalawdog »

Very nice. I just bought the rackham, and I love it. I have an ultimate 14 also. I think in the summer the Bote will be more fun. Its better exercise, and when I am on it, I feel more like jumping off and relaxing in the water on a sandbar with a rum drink, like a real pirate. But in the cooler months, I think the ultimate will get used more often.