Shark fishing Honeymoon Island / Caladesi

Flamingo to Big Bend
Sammazer

Shark fishing Honeymoon Island / Caladesi

Post by Sammazer »

I'm looking for info about shark fishing around the 2 islands.
Wanting to catch a big one. I've caught plenty of small bonnets.
Sounds like hurricane pass is a good place to start, my questions are-
What tide is best ?
Day or night ?
Since the islands are a State park ( close at dusk ) if I night fish is it ok if I am near them in my kayak?
Any other advice?

I've been fishing out of a kayak for several years and just up to a new challenge.

Thanks
nemo327

Re: Shark fishing Honeymoon Island / Caladesi

Post by nemo327 »

When the tide turns the pass has intense current. Near the gulf side it is almost impossible to paddle against it. If the wind is blowing against the tide the waves pop straight up. There are many large sharks in the pass there is no restriction about the park as long as you do not touch land. Additionally the high water line is public property on any beach. However this doesn't stop "authorities" from harassing you. Most are unaware of riparian rights for the public. South of the pass several hundred yards is a deep water area that extends from the sound almost to Caledesi island. I have hooked many sharks in this area and seen many more 4 -6 foot common. Large chunks of mullet work well. Use flash earth or google earth to locate this channel. Good luck
Sammazer

Post by Sammazer »

Thanks for the reply
Does it matter much what tide ?
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

Out going tide sweeps you out incoming sweeps you in. The first channel marker outside the pass is where I used to shark fish. Anywhere along the first sandbar is prime, sharks cruise along the Gulf side. The wave action is sporty to say the least.