local canal

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

local canal

Post by ray-uk »

Had a couple of hours free this afternoon, so went for a wander along the local canal.
Took with me a med-heavy lure rod, landing net and a bag of bits.

Started off at a place called rufford, simply walked along casting as I went.
was using a 3” gold/glitter shad on a ¼oz jig head, Managed a couple of small perch but nothing else.

After ½hour or so, I moved further along the same canal to a place called sollom, again using the gold/glitter shad.

I caught a small pike of around 2lbs almost straight away, continued walking along that stretch but never even saw any sign of another fish.

Swapped over to a white shad for the walk back to my car and again caught a small pike, around the same size as the first one.

Another change, this time to a silver/black g-tail lure and was rewarded with another two small pike.

By the time I had caught them, I was nearly back at the car, so that was the end of my session.

Weather was glorious, so despite the fish being on the small side, it was a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours.

Ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Your pike are pattern challenged over there. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

DaveR wrote:Your pike are pattern challenged over there. :wink:
would not disagree with you sir, but it does depend on the actual waters they inhabit.
the lake district for example consists of mainly deep, clear water. the pike from those waters tend to have seriously beautiful markings/colourations.

the water in that stretch of the canal is quite the opposite, it is almost "tannin" like, which gives totally different colour /pattern variations.

but they are all equally nice to catch. :wink:

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Thanks for sharing Ray. Looks like a nice day for a walk from the photos and you were certainly rewarded.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Very nice!
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Looks like a nice day for a walk from the photos and you were certainly rewarded
i think we may just be starting our summer Erick(fingers crossed) whilst pretty cool to you gents/gentess's, it was actually 78f, for us that is absolutely sweltering.

Very nice!
c'mon over and give it a try mark. :wink:

ray.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

well done sir, that canal looks like it would be great with a small topwater plug.
The Mirrolure top pup works great for pike, and they really do make a great show when they attack a topwater.

Thanks for sharing Ray.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I wish it was 78 when I get up in the morning! It has been really hot the past few days here in NC. We had a break for a couple of weeks with temps in the low 90's, mornings right around 70....but it has spiked up again. And little to no breeze. And no small creeks for walking to catch fish either. I would take that as well.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

John wrote:well done sir, that canal looks like it would be great with a small topwater plug.
The Mirrolure top pup works great for pike, and they really do make a great show when they attack a topwater.
the idea was to use topwaters john, but with the blazing sun, the fish seemed to be on the bottom down the center track, and they certainly did not want to move for food.
i will pop back there though one evening and chuck a few topwaters. :wink:

ray.
basebplyr1

Post by basebplyr1 »

I always enjoy you reports Ray, cheers.
Seth
>~~~}}}<>

"You a disgrace to da man race"
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

3” gold/glitter shad
:shock: Were you actually after redfish?? :lol:

That is some neat looking terrain. Is the area outside the canal marshy or is that dry grass fields beyond the canal?
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Were you actually after redfish??
:lol: they are deadly for pike, i use the capt. mikes, they are called "mullet tails", i like his lures a lot.

That is some neat looking terrain. Is the area outside the canal marshy or is that dry grass fields beyond the canal?
its all agricultural land Neil, which is brilliant as that means that they cannot build on it and i can alway get some fresh veg from one of the local farms.

ray.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

ray-uk wrote:
Were you actually after redfish??
:lol: they are deadly for pike, i use the capt. mikes, they are called "mullet tails", i like his lures a lot..
:lol:
That's actually poured for Mike at 12 Fathom/Producto. It's the same lure that I'm using for redfish. Mike also likes the green top, white belly for his product line. Great action on that little mullet tail. Poured with a little tougher plastic in that design so they're a little more durable than other plastic tails.

Great to see your reports Ray

Neil
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Nice report Ray. Your pike is almost identical to the pike here in Michigan(Esox Lucious), ours don't have the light bars. A topwater would be a blast in the evening.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell