small river

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

small river

Post by ray-uk »

Finally got the chance for my first session on a river since the season opened.

River of choice was the penk, its a small meandering river that runs through the county of staffordshire.

Tools for today were an avon rod and a med lure rod, bait was bread and worms, plus a few lures.

Arrived at the river with my mate ian at around 4:00, it was up slightly and had a tinge of colour.

After sorting out our “game plan” we headed off to bait a few spots.
We baited with liquidized bread, then walked back to the start to begin fishing.
I left my lure gear in our caravan, the plan was to fish with worms/bread for a couple of hours, then swap to lures.

With a piece of bread on the hook, cup of tea poured, I made my first cast and set the rod on its rest.
After 20 mins without a tap I moved to the next spot, same thing, piece of bread on the hook, sit back and relax, waiting for a bite taking in the wildlife.
After a few mins, I was getting small taps on the tip, then it whacked round and it was fish on.
Soon I was netting a chub that weighed in at 3½lbs.

After it was released, it was time to move to another spot.
I tried the same, piece of bread, nothing, worm brought me plenty of taps, but nothing solid to strike at.
So after about 20 mins in that spot I moved again, same thing, plenty of taps if I had worm on the hook, nothing when using bread.

So it was a warm evening, I got carried away with the wildlife etc and sat a bit longer in each spot than I normally would, the night was drawing in so I started to head back.

Met up with ian on the way, he had caught a chub of around ½lbs.
As we headed back we stopped and fished, I was using worm on the hook and still getting plenty of taps.
Then I got a bite to strike at, a few mins later I was netting a rather nice 1½lbs perch.

By this time it was starting to get dark so we headed back, my lure rod never even came out, but no worries, it was simply good to be back on the banks.

Overall, a seriously enjoyable evening, one that I cant wait to do again.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice Ray.

Are you sure thats not "Cow Creek"?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Heywood wrote: Are you sure thats not "Cow Creek"?
:lol: yup, everyone know there are no fish at cow creek.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Somehow, the fishing there seems more "civilized". :)
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
FlaPaddleFish

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

Chief1600 wrote:Somehow, the fishing there seems more "civilized". :)
Yes, it's a "gentlemen's" sport. :D
Hobie Outback S.U.V.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

That perch looks like it wanted to morph into a Walleye but just didn't quite make it.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

There is something that doesn't look right about that mullet either.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Nice perch Ray. I could dig gettin' a few of them. 8)
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell