small river again

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

small river again

Post by ray-uk »

Managed to get to the river penk again yesterday for the afternoon.
It was low and clear, near enough normal summer level.

Took with me just a lure rod and a few lures.
Lures consisted of a few shads, couple of topwaters and an assortment of crankbaits.

The idea was to start at the top end of our stretch and simply walk to the end, casting to likely looking spots on the way.

I had been there for about ½ hour, just flicking a small crankbait, I went past one particular spot that is known to hold a pike or two and cast behind a fallen tree.
Almost immediately a pike took my lure, it sure was fun to watch it shoot out from its lair and snaffle the bait.
A few minutes later I was unhooking a small pike the weighed in at exactly 5lbs.

After returning it safely to the river I continued to make a few casts around the same area, another pike of a similar size made a half hearted attempt at the same lure but never took it.

Then I got a text off another member of our club, jeff, he was nearly at the river, so I headed back toward our caravan to meet him.
Whilst there I managed to snap a pic of 5 swans that were swimming by.

After about 10 mins, I wanted to make some casts, so off I went again thinking that jeff would catch up to me eventually.
I got down the river a short way, casting as I went when jeff ring to say he had arrived, so ten minutes later we were having a chat about this and that before having a little walk looking at the river.

After a short walk, we decided on our game plan and went our different ways, we would meet up later to compare notes.

Despite walking the entire stretch of river, I never got another fish, I did get a follow off a seriously tiny perch, that amused me slightly as the particular lure I had on was close to twice its size.

I did not see much fish activity at all, guessing that the low and clear water had pushed them deep into the cover of the banks, and despite throwing all kinds of lures at them; they simply did not want to play.

The walk back was similar, walking along casting various lures, again without a sniff of a fish.

I met up with jeff and was having a chat, when another one of our members, alan, turned up with the wife and kids for a gab.
We talked for a while before alan left, jeff decided to walk back down river a bit to a spot that some bream are known to frequent, i decide to walk back towards my car, again, casting as I went.

The night was drawing in and as I had a fair bit to travel home, I decided to call it quits.

All in all, it was good to meet up with friends again and to simply be on the bank, the fish was a bonus.

Gotta go again soon.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Joyous Ray!

Mate I'm hoping to get a day with you fihsing next year, if I come over.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Mate I'm hoping to get a day with you fihsing next year, if I come over.
definitely mukker, a bag of prawns, some bread and worms and we will go chub hunting. :wink:

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Hoping you'd say Chub.
Of all the fish I left behind in the UK, the Chub is the one that haunts me. I never did catch the 6lber I chased for so many years, but more than that, I enjoyed fishing for them more than any other.

I loved the early morning ramble along the river bank the mobile style of fishing.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Will you please write in English!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

DaveR wrote:Will you please write in English!
do me favour mate. :wink:

ray.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Almost immediately a pike took my lure, it sure was fun to watch it shoot out from its lair and snaffle the bait

I like that term "snaffle" mind if I steal it?
Nice pike! :)
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

I like that term "snaffle" mind if I steal it?
:lol: not at all.

ray.