river trent, no fish.

Let's hear reports from other places.
ray-uk

river trent, no fish.

Post by ray-uk »

Arrived at the river trent at around 07:00 with mark.
With the recent rain, the water looked good, up a bit and nicely coloured.

I had taken with me, 2 rods for barbel, 2 lures rods, one heavy one med/heavy as well as all the bits and bobs to go with them.

Bob and his son keith were already there so first thing was a natter, before setting up my rods.

Both rods were set up the same, 12lb mainline, free running lead, 10lb fluro hook length to a size 8 hook.

Bait was to be meat, with the option of using pellets plus a few other bits and bobs if meat did not do any good.

Feed was to be mixed pellets fed via pva stocking.

So, rods were cast, everything was laid out in readiness and the fishing commenced.

With different flavoured meat on each rod, it was now a waiting game.
There was quite a lot of weed coming down the river which to be honest, I didn’t really mind as it meant recasting every ½ hour or so, that meant that I could keep the feed going in at a steady rate.

After a couple of hours without a bite, I went for a wander with the lure rods, I basically walked the river casting various lures in search of a pike or some perch, there was not interest what-so-ever, not even from a small perch, witch I though was a bit strange as they are normally quite prolific.

Still no worries, it was back to the barbel fishing.
Pretty much the same thing, meat on the hook, pva bag of feed, and again after a couple of hours not even a tap on the rod.

Marks wife Lesley arrived with some hot chicken and sausages for our lunch, that was my first bite of the day, and delicious it was.

After lunch it was back to the fishing, I tried various other baits for the next few hours, nothing could bring me a bite.
I certainly was not complaining, it was so good to be on the bank, the sun was out, the company was excellent, the kingfishers were busy, am guessing they had young to feed as they flew up and down the river showing me how to catch fish.

By the time early evening had arrived, I still had not even had so much as a knock on the rod, bob and keith had gone, they had caught some bits using maggots but no barbel had shown.

Then Lesley arrived again, this time with a bag of chips for us, cor she don’t half spoil us.

So with tea out of the way, it was one last attempt at a fish.
Again, despite my efforts, I could not buy a bite.

As the sun was setting, we got into our last hour, that basically was the same as the rest of the day, fishless.

then mark gave a shout, he had caught a chub.

With renewed hope, I fished for the last half hour, almost willing a fish to take my bait, but alas, that did not happen.
So as the darkness arrived, we packed up, said our farewells and left.

Overall, they day was excellent, the company was good, the wildlife was out in force, the weather was great, pity the fish did not want to play with me but that would really have just been a bonus.

Ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Shep

Post by Shep »

What a beautiful place.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Great report as always.
Piss off - we're full!
:D

I wish one of our political parties would adopt that slogan. Come over to the politics section and rant. Our election is getting boring. I don't know much about current UK politics, but I bet we can find someone to argue both sides of any issue you have....
James

"... but home to the bank came he, and the remorseless reel gathered up the thread of his life inch by inch." -Kipling
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Our election is getting boring
oohh i dont know, from this side of the pond it is still quite amusing. :lol:

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.