What a spot! 8-3-06

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
prowler13angler

What a spot! 8-3-06

Post by prowler13angler »

Me and my buddy steve wanted to do our annual everyday fishing, this time we got up bright and early and and figured we can hit a lake where we know there are big fish, but they are VERY picky. Woke up at 5am to ride my way down to steve's so we can meet to go get bait (What a way to wake up) Got as many shiners as we could afford (2 dozen) and went back past my house to the lake.

Chairs were set up by 5:45 and we were back asleep by 5:50 with our lines in our lips awaiting movement. After about 45 minutes we were fed up with not catching anything, and decided to hit another lake around allot of houses that was close by. So we packed BACK up and left.

Arrived at the other lake when the sun was coming up, and set the chairs up again. Waited awhile and wasn't getting much. I started throwing really close to a bush and was pulling out 10-12" trying to finish up the shiners since the day already didn't go as planned. I then started walking around the lake throwing a spinnerbaits, and came back with nothing to steven still waiting for his bobber to dive. Then he left behind some houses and started fishing while i gaurded the camp.

A few minutes later he ran back to me (Where the shiners were) and grabbed another shiner and proceeded back to his spot in a hurry. I didn't think much but a minute later he ran back and said he had some little fella's taking his bait, but he couldn't hook it. AGAIN he came back for more bait, and this time i decided to go back with him. When i got there i watched him make a cast 5 ft from the bank (where the must have been a ledge from someone building a seawall) and watched his bobber shoot down! He waited ripped up his rod and got nothing. My eyes = :shock: I knew they were not small fish. He was just using the wrong hooks and wasn't getting half as many hook ups as he should. I made a cast and wham! fish on. Very decent fish, indeed. Decent size, and pretty chunky. I told steve to go crab my other rod and my tackle box, and the livewell.

We were catching fish 5 ft off the bank on a deep ledge, as fast as we could throw in baits untill we ran out. The fish had a pretty nice size to them, considering we haven't been catching much on artificial lately. It was great and i want to do it again early morning before school starts.

We tried to get some nice photo's, but most turned out goofy. :P

mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

Hey Rick...

are we allowed to post photos of our butts now?

just asking, cuz well, you know.

Mud-
"YOU GOT NUTTIN!"
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

What's the matter? Wouldn't you like to see some new faces?

Thanks for sharing, P13......(I think :? :shock: )
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Great post. You guys look like you had a blast!
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Great jobs guys. If you guys are going to fish with shiners a lot you gotta get a cast net. With the price of shiners you can pay for a net in a few trips and the wild ones catch much bigger bass.
I would suggest one about 7ft and 3/4 mesh (check the regs, I think 7ft is the largest you can use in fresh water.
When you buy it take it home and stretch it out in the yard and if it has a neck in it that wont lay out, take it back. It will be nothing but problems and will cast more like a four footer.
Now get you mom to give you a ride to a feed store and pick up a 50 lb bag of chicken mash for about $8. Find some small lakes close to your house and start chumming a couple spots once or twice a week, a couple of double handfuls each time will do. Check the bottom out with a weighted treble hook and piece of rope for obstructions that might hang your net up. When you come back after bait, throw a handful of crackers or bread in there you will see them starting to boil. After you throw the first time and stirred the bottom up, let it sit for about 10 minutes and just throw small bits of chum. The next cast will usually be enough to go with.
Make sure you use circle hooks with live bait so you don't gut hook them. Cork bobbers look much more natural than plastic ones and try free lining in deeper water.
Once you get a few spots chummed up around your neighborhood you will have a unlimited supply of premo bait.
If you guys aren't used to throwing a net, send me a PM and we will get together to get you started.
Good luck guys.
:wink:
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.