Retension ponds......

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Rooster

Retension ponds......

Post by Rooster »

Is it leagal to catch and release bass in just about any unfenced retention pond around town? There is a nice pond behind Publix near my house that has a TON of fish in it, taking a walk and seen them all over the shoreline, bass and brim super thick! and I been dying to throw a lure and fly in it :twisted:

I have a freshwater license and barely use the thing, I'm hoping to use it allot more.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

The Publix next to the lowes off Park Blvd?

I have stopped and fished there a few times during the middle of the day, never heard any complaints. I saw another guy fishing there almsot daily for awhile but have not seen him a 2-3 weeks.

There are a few bigger ones in there. :wink:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Would you eat a fish from a retention pond is the question? :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

teamshaft3 wrote:Would you eat a fish from a retention pond is the question? :?
No, but I don't eat too many fresh water fish anyway. Can you even eat bass?

I believe Rooster and I are talking about the same retention pond. I saw it being built and over time it grew up and looked fishy. It is on the way to the bank I have to go to everyday so every now and then I stop by and wet a line.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

If it was in Broward county we'd be fishin it, at least until they put up official No Tresspassing signs.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Todd wrote:...Can you even eat bass?...
Bass is deelish! *Especially if it comes from a moving water envronment, it's more "muddy" if it's from stagnant waters. JMO.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Fish till you are asked to leave...Unless obvious signs are posted... It's worked for me for a few years.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Todd wrote:
teamshaft3 wrote:Would you eat a fish from a retention pond is the question? :?
No, but I don't eat too many fresh water fish anyway. Can you even eat bass?

I believe Rooster and I are talking about the same retention pond. I saw it being built and over time it grew up and looked fishy. It is on the way to the bank I have to go to everyday so every now and then I stop by and wet a line.
Yes, we are 8) :lol: I may be stoppin by and hole jumping some time... :lol:

I dont catch to eat, only RARELY do I, last fish I kept was that 25.5" red from like 5 months ago. 90% of my fish do make it back to the water unharmed 8)

But I been fishing a small pond behind my work on breaks, so far I caught four small bass on just one 30 min lunch break, using the mirromullet....
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I dipped a line in it tonight, nothing eating, but I'll try again during daylight hours.. I know theres good fish in there 8)
prowler

Post by prowler »

i fish the retention pond behind my house all the time. I use shiners mostly and my record is in a hour and a half i landed 9 bass, broke off twice. I only had 12 shiners.. do the math ;) a few of them were huge like bigger than from my knee to the ground and thick.. I never take a camera cuz when ever i do I don't catch anything.. vodoo i guess..
"What if the fairy is a crazy glue sniffing fairy? "build model airplanes!" the fairy says. The next thing you know theres money missing of your dresser and your daughter is knocked up!" Tommy boy

Post by 0119 »

Ive got the same jinx prowler...the last trip I took a camera and got 12 bass all dinks. The 2 trips before that no camera and my partner and me landed over 30 bass each trip, all over 2.5lbs. ! Last year, if we brought a camera we were lucky to boat 3 bass. Cameras are Bananas on my yak.
lamar

Post by lamar »

It's easer to ask forgivness than permission.