Not quite asgood today.

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
JayB
Founder's Club

Not quite asgood today.

Post by JayB »

My secret spot cooled off a little yesterday. I got a bunch of little (and I mean little) bluegills. I couldn't find the big boys.

Well, I had streak going of some exceptional fish. I guess it was about time.

J
Stereotactic radiation saved my life.

I may not be an angel, but I had a halo.
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Jay, do you keep the big ones to eat? Knowing you, I suspect not. If yes, what is your favorite way to prepare them? I think bluegills, if skinned, are excellent eating. Second only to crappie!
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

I don't keep fish any more. If could find a good Crappie spot, I'd probably keep them. Far and away the best eating' freshwater fish ever.

When I was a kid and all the way into college and beyond I cleaned fish. It was a matter of a cheap protein source. Trout were plentiful as were whiting and other easy to catch fish.

Then, one day, I realized I could afford to go to a fish monger and not clean fish. I haven't touched a filet knife in 30 years. I'll let someone else do it.

Trick is finding a good fish market. Fortunately I found one.

Jay

Sully

Post by Sully »

I agree Jay. I have some quality filet knives but don't use them. Not to mention all the run off in fresh water that probably contaminate most species it's kind of scary.

And if you are looking for a good fishmonger people, I would suggest Island Fish on Indian Rocks Road and Wilcox. Good people, honest advice and prices and the fish is as fresh as it gets.
TRUE
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Sully wrote: Not to mention all the run off in fresh water that probably contaminate most species it's kind of scary.
Do you think the fish you get from a fish monger would be any better?
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

Probably not. But I'm not having to clean it.

Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

I know what you mean. It is not a fun task.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Jay have you tried Medard Park between Brandon and Plant City......I have pulled some slab size specs from there in the past and the locals tell me the specs are heating up again.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

I used to fish Medard all the time for specs...from a boat. Never tried it from shore and I am not putting my kayak in there. Way tooooo many lizards for my taste.

It is the best crappie lake in the area though and it should be at its peak over the next month or so.

J

mudfish

Re: Not quite asgood today.

Post by mudfish »

JayB wrote:My secret spot cooled off a little yesterday. I got a bunch of little (and I mean little) bluegills. I couldn't find the big boys.

Well, I had streak going of some exceptional fish. I guess it was about time.

J
That's what happens when you catch them all. Now they're "hip to you" dude. 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -