Bass......

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Rooster

Bass......

Post by Rooster »

What makes the Bass down here so much larger than the northern variety. Every where I have caught a bass down here, they have been significantly larger in girth, than any bass I have ever seen in PA (except the big ol' small mouths up there in the Susquehanna) I've heard the bass down here in FL called "black bass", but up in PA we call them "largemouth bass". Are these two seperate species causing the significant weight/girth difference, or are they just allot fatter down here?
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth

Post by 0119 »

Florida strain bass are a seperate sub species. They occur naturally in Florida and S. Georgia and Alabama. They have been stocked in California and S.Africa. They grow bigger, quickly and dont live as long according to experts. They are considered much less aggressive than northern strain bass and harder to catch.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Okay, Thats why! I like these bass allot better than their northern counterparts!!! :lol:
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth