Pan Size fish to ID

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bluebill

Pan Size fish to ID

Post by bluebill »

These two fih were taken today in Cape Coral. The silvery fish appears to be a Moharra and was from the salwater side of a canal wier. The dark blue fish was taken in a nearby freshwater canal. It has the shape of a Mayan Cichlid but is so dark blue. But you can see a red ring near the tail. There were many nornal colored Mayans where I caught this one.

Any ID opinions?
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

That second fish is an oscar.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
bluebill

Bluish Oscar

Post by bluebill »

rooster - you may be right that the dark blue fish is a color variation of the Oscar - the oval mark on the tail looks like the photos I have of Oscars
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

The top one is a Striper.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

OK - consensus is a Mojarra for the top picture. A mom and pop team were catching these with angle worm and bobber. I just took the picture. They were going to eat them.

Some google research gave a possibility for the blue oxcar? that some tropical aquarium folks are creating blue oscars by injecting the young fish with ink.