Gators

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Inshore Mike

Gators

Post by Inshore Mike »

I'm new to kayaking fishing and I want to check out a few lakes/ponds. I have not had a problem with gators when fishing from shore. I think I would feel a little lower on the food chain when floating next to them in a kayak. Do gators investigate you while you're in their home? Are they likely to attack? Thanks.

Mike
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

How big is your kayak? In my mind a 6' gator is not likely to attack a 14' kayak.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Inshore Mike

Post by Inshore Mike »

It's a Redfish 12
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Inshore Mike wrote:It's a Redfish 12
You'll be alright unless you see two 6 foot gators coming at you! :lol:
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
Pip

Post by Pip »

I've been kayaking lakes, ponds, and rivers in central Florida for over 10 years, and have never had a problem w/ gators. I've been in the water in a 10' kayak where 6 to 8' gators are very common, and they are very shy and elusive.

Once my friend an I paddled right over a larger gator in the Peace River...he was sitting on the bottom and just let us pass right over him in 4' of water. Thats the only time I was worried, but we didnt know we were on top of him until it was too late...my friend said keep paddling and we hauled ass out of there, just in case.

Long story short, just be aware of your surroundings, keep and eye out (know where they are), leave them alone (dont try to feed them), and you should not have a problem.

Personally, I'm more worried about snakes than gators, I keep a sharp eye out for them when paddling through lilly pads and any emergent vegetation.

Just have fun!

Phillip
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches