Looking for Crappie spots

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Tacon

Looking for Crappie spots

Post by Tacon »

Hey i've always been interested in Crappie for some reason and never caught one (don't do much freshwater fishing). Anyone know some good crappie spots near Tampa? Have yak will travel.
Pip

Post by Pip »

I dont fish for them exclusively, but I'd try Medard Park near Plant City or Tenoroc in Lakeland. Drift open water with live minnows at different depths. Medard Park has hybrid stripers, so you might catch a few of those as well!

Also, check out the Lakeland Ledger freshwater fishing report (updated every Thursday)...they have been tearing the specs up lately here in Polk County.

Good Luck!!

Phillip
Lakeland
08 Hobie Outback
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
Tacon

Post by Tacon »

well Medard park was on the news this morning for their boat ramp vulture problem--i guess the vultures find it "calming" to rip all of the rubber off vehicles left in the parking lot---but i did read a lot about the Teneroc management area thnx to this tip. I'll go hit that area up soon thnx again.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

well Medard park was on the news this morning for their boat ramp vulture problem--i guess the vultures find it "calming" to rip all of the rubber off vehicles left in the parking lot---
not only indemic to Medard...Jiggs landing and Myakka have the same problem..take a tarp and some bungees with you and cover the exposed rubber..It will save you a couple grand..just ask my buddy David..the buzzards ate his winshield wipers and the seals on his roof rack and his moonroof :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Lake Thonotasassa might be well worth checking out for specks..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Pip

Post by Pip »

I work in Plant City and know people who fish Lake Thonotosassa, and I have fished it myself. It's got some fish, but not known as a "great" fishery...fair at best...but you never know. I'd personally fish Medard or Tenoroc (or the more "famous" Polk County lakes) if I were tageting specs.

Just my 2 cent! :wink:

Phillip
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches