Colt Creek State Park

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Colt Creek State Park

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Fished yesterday at Colt Creek State Park on Hwy 471 just north of Hwy 98.

Fishing for bluegill and whatever other panfish might take my fly I caught two yearling bass and one nice sized bluegill. 1 hand +.

Many other stikes at the white rubber-legged spider fly but no more taken to hand than the three previously mentioned.

Was nice to get out and fly fish for the little 'uns.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Is this walk in fishing or can we bring in our canoes?

I was in Swan's fly shop yesterday and we were talking about bluegill on fly. It is still my favorite type of fishing.
1 3 12 120 3000
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Pirogue wrote:Is this walk in fishing or can we bring in our canoes?
More info please :D . It would be a convenient place to kill a couple of hours.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

3 different lakes to fish. A small one I would call a pond. A little larger one I would call a small lake and then there's Mac Lake, the bigger of the three.

The only negative signs I saw there were "No Swimming", "No Vehicles" (past the parking lot) and "No Alcohol".

Don't see why you couldn't take a canoe or kayak in. From the parking lot, perhaps 30 yards or so.

Nice clean clear water with just enough "cover" left in and around the lake to shelter some nice fish.

Park is only about a year old. Don't remember it being there last year while I was hunting a little water to fish in in that area.
GIL

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Fished Colt Creek State Park again this past Thursday. Instead of bank fishing I took the canoe this time. With my brother up front working the anchor, more than once my anchor was "swinging" with only a couple of feet left of about 35 - 40 feet of line in the water.

Came home and googled up some info on the lake. Come to find out, this hole was mined for it's limestone years ago. There are places in the lake that are 75 feet deep.

I know something was up as the swinging of the anchor on 40 feet of rope isn't typical of any natural Florida lakes ... that I know of.

Caught one small bass on an artificial worm. I'll definitely fish this lake differently now that I know it's depth.
GIL