Tilapia?

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Tilapia?

Post by finatic »

I have some big tilapia hangin' out in my canal. While I continue my quest to get one on fly I'd like to get my little bro catching some. Anybody know of anything to use to catch 'em?
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

yellow baby clousers work pretty good for flys, at least for me...as far as bait I would use dough balls myself..they are vegans
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

Although they are vegans... I have caught a few of them in my friend's pond using some little minnows that we netted under a bobber w/ a split shot.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

wow..thats odd but I have seen some very odd things in them canals...talapia are mouth brooders and I always see them open wide and hundreds of babies swim frelly in and out...the big blue ones are the toughest to catch IMHO but a really great fight
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I caught one on a spinner bait once. I believe that it was defending its nest though. I have also seen them with their young in their mouths like BFW described. Really a cool fish.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I used to take my daughters to the pond in our neighborhood in Tampa to catch them. We hooked up a small bobber with a small hook and put a piece of bread on it. They would catch them till they got tired.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
islander

Post by islander »

Dog food under a bobber. Seriously. There's a pond in North Port that was stocked using this "technique".
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Maybe you can get your hands on some striped bass poop.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

BFW's techniques landed me this guy a while back....put a clouser in its nest, wait for it to clean it out......

"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth