Crappie?

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
FlippinWorms

Crappie?

Post by FlippinWorms »

Went out in the lake in the back yard today. About 50+ feet off the shore the lake has tons of bottom changes. Haven't really fished it much until I got my kayak a couple of weeks ago. I caught one Crappie trolling along, but there was some type of fish that kept breaking the surface of the water. They were all over this one area! Top water would have been best but the only thing I took with me was a beetle spin. Could these have been Crappie?
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

dunno, where is the lake at?

If the fish appeared to be rolling, or sucking air, they are probably "placos", algae sucking aquarium fish.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

Lake Heather.....not rolling or taking in air. They were striking the top of the water as if they are feeding.
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

They are probably bluegills. Get a 4 wt fly rod with some cork poppers with the rubber band legs and you will have a blast. And yes, they are good eating.
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

i would like to use a fly rod but need to practice. i am ready to go now....lol! A whole new world has been opened up for me with this kayak! Thanks!
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

I wonder if the bluegill or crappie will go after a mini buzz bait?
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

Try using a Rooster Tail. I like the watermellon color.Image
Duckbill

Re: Crappie?

Post by Duckbill »

FlippinWorms wrote:Went out in the lake in the back yard today. About 50+ feet off the shore the lake has tons of bottom changes. Haven't really fished it much until I got my kayak a couple of weeks ago. I caught one Crappie trolling along, but there was some type of fish that kept breaking the surface of the water. They were all over this one area! Top water would have been best but the only thing I took with me was a beetle spin. Could these have been Crappie?

There's no telling what those fish were on top, but Bluegill and other panfish will do this whenever there is a "hatch" of any sort. We had some warm weather for a couple of weeks, so maybe something was hatching(bugs).

I, too, am getting ready to start chasing some specks (crappie) with the kayak. After this cold snap they should start heading in to shallow water. I'll be fishing in the Clermont chain, mostly Lk Louisa and Lk Susan.

Oh and Bluegills on a flyrod is quite possibly my favorite fishing. LOVE IT :) !
Isaiah 41:10
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

Went to Walmart...they have discontinued there fly fishing stuff. When to dick's and got a kit for $40. Is there anyway to practice with out the fly? Kinda like when learning how to cast a baitcaster.
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

FlippinWorms wrote:Went to Walmart...they have discontinued there fly fishing stuff. When to dick's and got a kit for $40. Is there anyway to practice with out the fly? Kinda like when learning how to cast a baitcaster.
Yep!, just go out in a grassy area, not on the asphalt so you don't scuff up the line.
noles

Post by noles »

Silverspoon wrote:
FlippinWorms wrote:Went to Walmart...they have discontinued there fly fishing stuff. When to dick's and got a kit for $40. Is there anyway to practice with out the fly? Kinda like when learning how to cast a baitcaster.
Yep!, just go out in a grassy area, not on the asphalt so you don't scuff up the line.
You can also tie on a piece of yarn as your fly, that way you can keep track of where the fly lands and you won't hook yourself.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Remember you are casting the line not the fly.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell