Fly Rod?

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
FlippinWorms

Fly Rod?

Post by FlippinWorms »

I can see the fun in fly rod fishing for blues and specks. Fly fishing is new to me what gear are you using for this type of fishing? Links to gear would be great. Rod, Reels, and line? Thanks!
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Flip...Personaly I use a 5wt for freshwater..
Try looking thru the flyfishing section for some freshwater tips on what others are using.
There are some pretty neat flies that were tied for a freshwater swap a while back

Try the search feature ( look up at your screen to find it :wink: ) for keyword "swap"

Here is what I came up with...

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... light=swap

go to page 6 for the pics of the finished flies.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
noles

Re: Fly Rod?

Post by noles »

FlippinWorms wrote:I can see the fun in fly rod fishing for blues and specks. Fly fishing is new to me what gear are you using for this type of fishing? Links to gear would be great. Rod, Reels, and line? Thanks!
It's a blast! If you want to give it a try, pick up a 5/6 wt Scientific Angler at Walmart for under $30. It comes with fly line and all you need now is to pick up a prepackage leader and a couple of poppers. The most you'll need to cast is 10-20' so you don't have to be Lefty when fishing for speck and blue. Let the fly drop, give a it a pop and wait a couple of seconds. If blue and specs are there, they'll hit it. Good luck...
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

Walmart no longer has fly stuff. Got one from Dick's for $40. Now I can't wait!
Silverspoon

Post by Silverspoon »

FlippinWorms wrote:Walmart no longer has fly stuff. Got one from Dick's for $40. Now I can't wait!
Just a little warning. Sometimes when you lift the bug off the water, a small bluegill will latch on and come flying back and hit you in the face!
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

FAST FOOD! :lol:
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I've done it before...lol, fast food for sure since it hit my mouth..... :lol:
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
FlippinWorms

Post by FlippinWorms »

To bad that wasn't caught on film. AFV for sure!