Couple hours on a new lake

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
jslager

Couple hours on a new lake

Post by jslager »

Finally got a chance to get out with a good buddy Saturday AM. We only had a few hours but the fish were hungry. He was messing around with a wacky rig while he was soaking crickets for a bluegill fish fry. I had a handful of small bass and a decent 2-3 lbr when I came back to check on him. He's only pulled one dink bass out so I decided it was time to bring him into the glorious world of frog fishing.

I got him rigged up with a toad and pointed out some good spots and within the hour he had 3 more to the kayak and lost a nice 3-4 lbr after an awesome jump.

Was an odd day for me. my 3rd fish was a little dink. He jumped and spit the hook at boat side but actually jumped into the kayak with me.

A couple fish later a nice 3lbr smashed my frog in the slop and after I got him out he shot right under the hobie and got caught in the mirage drive before I could flatten my fins. When I pulled the mirage drive up, there he was. Just before I was about to drop him back in the water I noticed he still had a hook in his throat but he looked fine so I didn't mess with it and risk it. Hooked him right in the top of the mouth, not sure why there was so much blood.

I moved on to a nice looking laydown and pulled a couple small ones buzzing the tree. I made one last cast to it and a beautiful fish takes a swipe at my toad. Then again, and misses again but he is still chasing. I get my bait to the side of the kayak and I can still see the fish so I let the bait sink and BAM! Not 6 inches from the boat.

only a touch under 5 lbs(looked much bigger) but he was close to 23 inches.

Was a great day, 10 fish up to 5lbs and my buddy caught 4.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Couple hours on a new lake

Post by ChrisR »

Great day Josh. I miss bass fishing. I like the dashboard thing on the right side of the PA. Did you make it, or is that a Hobie feature?
jslager

Post by jslager »

They are made By madfroggear.com They make some cool products for all kinds of kayaks.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Nice day!!! Good to see a freshwater report from time to time. :thumbleft:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

We need gps cordinates for this lake :) Nice day fishing.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.