Golf Course Bass

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bluebill

Golf Course Bass

Post by bluebill »

I caught this bass yesterday in a golf course lake - released her back in.

Measured 22 3/4" and I estimated it at 7.1 lbs

She took a noisy top water plug

Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
godsmack481

Re: Golf Course Bass

Post by godsmack481 »

That is a nice lookin' bass there. I have not been largemouth fishing in quite some time. And when I got my kayak a few weeks back I have been sticking to mostly salt water. However I just rigged up a bass combo, just a cheap rod/reel my dad had lying around and itching to take it out to do some bass fishing.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Here is a Mayan Cichlid and a Sunfish-Bluegill from the same lake in Cape Coral.

A few bass are still available but only after sunset.

Post by 0119 »

I really like Mayan's. They fight better than a bass their size and will try to bite you while you unhook them in your lap! Have you fried one up? I think they rival crappie and maybe even snook for taste.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I agree that the Mayan Cichlids are good fighters for their size. But, the larger ones can be tough to coax into biting on artificials.

I never have cooked one up but am going to try them. I have another friend that, like you, loves to fish for and eat them.

I have one nearby lake near Cape Coral that has clean clear water and lots of smaller Mayans. They should be pan size by next spring provided we so not get a hard freeze this winter.

Post by 0119 »

Just before the big freeze I was catching them over 2lbs. but haven't caught but a few since.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I see some Mayans in the 2# size when I get to Miami and am mainly looking for Peacock Bass.
The big Mayans act uninterested in my small artificial lures.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I have been catching bluegills and tilapia for the past several weeks.

But, yesterday evening a large bass took the little beetle spin meant for panfish.

The first bigger bass of the fall season. But we are in for another week of hot weather so I am thinking mid- October before the water begins to cool off.

Also caught one very nice red eared sunfish / shell cracker, a first for me.

Post by 0119 »

Are folks able to fish the golf course ponds in the closed up course the city of Cape Coral bought. They have been talking about it on the news and said its been closed for years. I imagine its full of under pressured bass that'll hit anything.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

The golf course I refer to is Coral Oaks. It is owned by the City, is well maintained and busy every day and more so on weekends. I know a few people who own houses fronting the greens and lakes and they allow me to fish near their houses. I only fish during bad weather when there are no golfers or after the last party has headed for the clubhouse.

I will do some research on the course you mention. If it has been closed for years, the lakes may be badly overgrown with cattails like the lakes in the private golf course in Sandoval Community.