Wilderness Systems Commander 120

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Wilderness Systems Commander 120

Post by Todd »

Required Disclaimer-I am a member of the Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Pro Staff. I did not purchase this boat as it was given to me as part of the Pro Staff program.

The Commander is Wilderness Systems first entry into the canoe/kayak "hybrid" type boats. Not sure why they are called hybrids at all as, at least in my opinion, they are canoes you paddle with a kayak paddle. The only big difference I see is the seat which is similar to the seat Wildreness Systems puts in their kayaks.

Here are the specifications from the WS website-

Length: 12' / 366 cm
Width: 30.25" / 77 cm
Max Capacity: 400 lbs / 181 kg
Deck Height: 13.5" / 34 cm
Weight: 68 lbs / 31 kg
Cockpit Length: 55" / 138 cm
Cockpit Width: 20.5" / 52 cm

The boat comes with WS Freedon Elite seating. The seating arrangement allows for leg lift and you can lean the back forward or back to your liking. Overall I found it very comfortable and never had a complaint all day as I changed the adjustments several times to try different configurations. The seat will slide fore and aft within the boat. Sliding the seat all the way forward would allow a child to ride with you behind the seat while perched on the "Captains Seat". The seat can also be removed entirely to be used as a beach chair. It is easily removed and re-installed. The seat will also slide under the Captains Seat to allow a higher seating style in the kayak. I found this to be a great feature while anchored and fishing. A pad for that area will be installed there in the future. I paddled from this position but the boat rode a tad bow heavy with more weight toward the aft of the boat.

Fishing from the Captains Seat.

I ordered an angler model which includes a rod holder for WS slidetrax system, an anchor trolley for the slidetrax system, two rear fluch mount rod holders, an anchor and a rudder. The rudder was a simple install with a few screws and an allen wrench (included in the kit), took about five minutes. I did not install the anchor trolley as I like to fish out of boats first before installing anything I might find unnecessary. After fishing in the winds on Saturday I will be installing the anchor trolley. It will make using an anchor and a drift sock much easier as then you could use them off the stern of the kayak. The rod holder and the anchor trolley are both easy install using the WS slidetrax system. There is no need to drill any holes in the boat to install either of these items. There are many different options available on the slidetrax system, from simple rod holders to a full dashboard. The slidetrax system is installed on the top rails within the cockpit and the outisde edge for the anchor trolley and to connect bungee holdres. More info can be found here-

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pages/ ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bottom of the Commander is a tunnel hull configuration. This configuration makes this kayak very, very stable. I was able to stand in any conditions with ease. Never once did I feel the boat was going to tip or I was going to fall out. I experimented in shallow water and was able to put all my weight on one side of the kayak. The tunnel hull does show within the cocpit and I originally thought standing would be uncomfortable with that style but I never found a standing position I did not like. I could stand with feet on either side of the tunnels or on top, either way it was easy and comfortable. I used a 10' Wang Anchor as a pushpole and the boat poled with ease.

There are several accessories available for the Commander such as a bow and stern skirt. I will be purchasing both. The bow skirt has a gear bag which would be a nice addition.

Overall I was very impressed with the boat. It paddles with ease and tracks dead straight, even in the windy conditions I was in this past Saturday. I have paddled a Tarpon 160 for four years so I was very used to the speed of a 160. For sure this boat is a tad slower due to design but overall I was very impressed with paddling this boat. The ability to stand with ease is a huge plus, I could get really used to that.

A few negatives. The boat needs a drain plug. Even using a hand pump I was unable to get all the water out of the boat. After washing the inside out it took a long while to sponge the last bit of water and sand out of the boat. I checked and it seems to tbe an easy fix, will update my post when I do that. The rod holder on the sides of the boat are out of position, at least for me. To have the rod holder in a position I could reach I could not paddle correctly as the forward stroke of the paddle would hit the rod holder. A dashboard slidetrak system might correct fix that but, personally, I do not like a lot of "stuff" in front of me when I am fishing. That will be a work in progress.

I can see myself using this boat a lot. It will surely take some getting used to, going from a pure kayak to a canoe style boat is a change that will get better with a few more trips. It is a very different platform to fish from as I am not used to fishing from this style of boat.

I live on the water in St Petersburg, if anyone would like to take the Commander for a test drive send me a PM and we can arrange a time for you to try it out.

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
justabucup

Re: Wilderness Systems Commander 120

Post by justabucup »

Looks nice Todd. I do have a question however.... When getting into my tankwell in My Tarpon I turn sideways in the boat to reach back. Are you still able to COMFORTABLY sit sideways on this boat to rertrieve tackle net or beer from the back area?
Credo quia absurdum
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You don't need to turn sideways you can just turn around inside the boat. I was able to reach the green cooler in the rear of the boat (in the pic) with no problem. It is extremely stable.

When the water warms up I am going to put the stability to a true test and try and tip it over. Really did not want to try that on Saturday with the wind and cold water.
Rik

Post by Rik »

While I did not paddle it, I did watch Todd stand with both feet on one side of the kayak. Notice the shape of the interior bottom, he had both feet in one of the troughs (where the bag of lures is in the pic below) and it was still stable and not taking on water. I get the feeling that you'd really have to try to flip that boat.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Todd, are they working on a longer model too or is 12' the only option?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Looks nice been waiting to see one, but Weight: 68 lbs / 31 kg, its not for me.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
redfish

Post by redfish »

Cool stuff Todd :-B
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
trevorb

Post by trevorb »

Todd,

Would you rather have this or the Ultimate?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

trevorb wrote:Todd,

Would you rather have this or the Ultimate?
In that I am sponsored by Wilderness Systems what do you think my answer to that would be? :?

I don't know as I have never paddled an ultimate. I hear good things about them though.

As to Wilderness Systems making a 14' commander I don't know the answer. There has been talk of it but as far as I know it is just talk at this time.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Everyone wants to stand :roll:

Nice pics Toddlle :cheers:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
joco

Post by joco »

hi wen you stand up in your yak..dont you feel your feet leg a bit crampy..the way the bottom is made its a bit offset so its not that comfy on the feet and lower legs wen up in that boat.

joco
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Todd. Your welcome to borrow my my U14 anytime. I've not fished since December.

Knowing WS i'm sure their version is much improved over the Native

I do like the layout of the commander tho' Rigging an Ultimate is a pain and permanent as far as rod holders go.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

chincy wrote:Todd, are they working on a longer model too or is 12' the only option?
Keep a lookout, rumor has it the Commander 14' will be out soon.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Right on, I wonder how much this one will be weighing in, considering the 12' is @ 65lbs
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

http://paddlesport.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... irst-look/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Stability of the 140 Commander

http://tiny.cc/6dj25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Todd / Anyone got an idea of price point?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club