hobie Pro-Angler???

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
gsellers1245

Re: hobie Pro-Angler???

Post by gsellers1245 »

FYI, David simms from action watersports in auburndale will be testing out the new pro angler. Hobie has been secretive as to not release the 2012 modifications. They will be available for test peddle and purchase sometime in September. Price will be 2399.00. This is from a little birdie and has not been validated.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
ItsFriday

Post by ItsFriday »

Nothing like bringing back a 2 year old thread! I looked at the pro angler. its nice, stable, plenty of storage. However, after testing a stealth 14 at the demo day (thx again for that) i feel the stealth 14 is just as nice, just as stable, and plenty of storage. At the demo, in 2 feet of water, i said hey heywood look i can lean all the way over and touch the bottom. he laughed and said "you can, i wouldnt, but you can". lol

Plus the stealth 14 is half the cost! Just saying.
"Hard work always beats talent, when talent doesnt work!" - Tim Tebow
Rik

Post by Rik »

There's a seat for every butt.......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
size matters

Post by size matters »

I would agree that there is a seat for every but. I am not familiar with the stealth 14. This is my only hobby at the moment and IF I go I go big.lol would love to see that Kayak. I have read a lot about the pro angler and see a lot of guys downing this kayak. I am confused. any of my friends that try this thing love it. Thats my two cents though.
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
ItsFriday

Post by ItsFriday »

oh dont get me wrong, i think the pro angler is a great kayak, however, i am now prefering the stealth 14 over it. just my opinion. im going with a stealth for all reasons listed earlier plus ease of use (dont have to mess with drive, maintanence of drive, weight). nothing about the pro angler turned me off of it. its just that a lot of factors of the stealth 14 turned me on to it. if it only came down to paddle vs peddle things might be different. but 1/2 price, 1/2 the weight, just as stable, lots of storage, left over money to get the misses a stealth 12. just my decision. given the chance i would fish right along side you.
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

1/2 the weight.....the Pa don't weigh 140lbs.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
ItsFriday

Post by ItsFriday »

gsellers1245 wrote:1/2 the weight.....the Pa don't weigh 140lbs.
:scratch: Oh your right, 138lbs fully rigged per Hobie. WOW, thx for correcting me, I was way off! lol
size matters

Post by size matters »

yup I here yah the pa is a big pig and I love big stuff other than women...lol I just simply noticed that on the web and not just this forum people really do not like the pa for many reasons. I guess if you have never tried one out and you are not strong enough to lift it without throwing out a testicle then the Hobie Pro Angler aint for you. I call it my BIG GIRL....... Yes I also agree about fishing side by side you Friday. Lets hit the bay.
size matters

Post by size matters »

I guess I am :deadhorse: I just love this boat.
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

size matters wrote:I guess I am :deadhorse: I just love this boat.
You're not the only one! Some of the types of fishing I do would not be possible in any other kayak.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
size matters

Post by size matters »

Mine does not have a cool snook on the front of it though. Can you explain a little better about your post and the places that you fish that make you benefit with the Pro -Angler ?
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

ItsFriday wrote:
:scratch: Oh your right, 138lbs fully rigged per Hobie. WOW, thx for correcting me, I was way off! lol
Hull weight is 88lbs. Then add the seat, mirage drive, etc...and bada Bing 138 pounds. The hull weight of the stealth is 69 pounds. Add your rod holders seat etc...etc... And tell me how much it weighs... :tongue:
-Thomas Alva Edison-
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

size matters wrote:Mine does not have a cool snook on the front of it though. Can you explain a little better about your post and the places that you fish that make you benefit with the Pro -Angler ?
The boat with the snook is the Revolution. I traded that in for a plain PA.

Note: I am currently on the Hobie Fishing Team

Fishing down in the Keys or anywhere the water is crystal clear gives the PA a huge advantage in that you can actively stand and pole the flats. Some may say that you can do the same thing in other kayaks but I digress. Some of the areas we fish down there have strong currents and even a 15 knot wind chops up the water to the point that standing in a typical "fishing" kayak is unstable, yes including the Stealth and Ride models. I do a lot of shark fishing from the beach as well and sometimes go by myself. It's very convenient to use the cart and load everything in the PA and make one trip to the sand. You could fit a weeks worth of gear in the PA if you stowed things correctly. The PA has a 600lb weight capacity and it isn't unusual to have 500lbs+ loaded at some point in a shark trip. In Summer I go fishing for stingrays to use for bait. If you've ever tried lifting a 60lb ray off the bottom of a mudflat you'd appreciate having a PA. I can stand up and exert much greater pressure than someone sitting down. Same concept works for tarpon as well. I've caught some really great fish off the PA this year alone..26lb Permit, 115lb Tarpon, 41.5" Snook, 26" Tripletail, 31.5" Bonefish, and a 34" Redfish all sightfished from the PA. It's a machine.

You miss so many fish if you're not standing up

Late afternoon, low-light, sightcasting a Permit

This flat gets very rocky when the tide opposes the wind

Was poling when I saw this guy cruising the edge of a pothole

Launch the PA and pedal to your own beach, gear in tow

PA makes a great bed when waiting for a bite

When these guys suck to the bottom you need all the leverage you can get

Also nice to be able to bring my best friend with me
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
ItsFriday

Post by ItsFriday »

gsellers1245 wrote:
ItsFriday wrote:
Hull weight is 88lbs. Then add the seat, mirage drive, etc...and bada Bing 138 pounds. The hull weight of the stealth is 69 pounds. Add your rod holders seat etc...etc... And tell me how much it weighs... :tongue:
Less :thumbright: lol
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

gsellers1245 wrote:
ItsFriday wrote:
It is a heavy boat, no disputing that fact at all! But there's no need to ever lift the PA. I never have. Just use a cart. If you have a pickup truck for transport you only have to lift one end up which is cake.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
ItsFriday

Post by ItsFriday »

DouGR81,

Awesome pics!! Makes me wanna go back down to the keys! I was born and reside in Tampa yet have only went to the keys once. Go figure.