My flexible Eagle Canoe (LONG)

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Uncle Ji

My flexible Eagle Canoe (LONG)

Post by Uncle Ji »

ALOHA Kakou! I bought my 11' Fiberglass American Eagle Canoe back in 2004 but due to several back surgeries and recovery time didn't get to use it for over 3 years after purchase. I got it so I could throw it on back of my truck and fish almost anywhere, just throw on a small outboard and head on out. It seemed fine for one person but for two it was tipsy. Also tispy for stand-up casting so I fabricated an outrigger using PVC pipe and a pool noodle which wings nuts onto my oarlocks, easy solution. Perfect place to mount my new rod holders too on the 'iako bar.
Later on I wanted to use this light boat for exercise and human powered fishing for more of a challenge. She rowed poorly due to bad placement of seat and oarlocks (too far forward). She didn't paddle a whole lot better either. Since I grew up rowing dories I knew I preferred rowing over paddling. I found the Piantedosi Rowing Frame the best solution for my needs. She drops right in and held in place by 4 clamps. This shifted my weight further aft for better distribution. The sliding seat also allows for more efficiency by using my legs too. Only problem my dory oars were too short and new 9'6" oars were $300 a pair plus shipping to Hawai'i... ARGH! Instead I went to the local lumber yard and bought two D-Fir closet rods and a pine board, and made my own oars for about $35 total! I bought Scotty rod bases which clamp to the existing oarlocks so using existing rods holders. My first time back in the ocean in almost a year (due to 3rd back surgery and recovery) and I was rewarded with a 31.9 pound Kagami Ulua aka African Pompano. This was on August 15th. My 25 yo son Isaac joined me in his kayak, and is pictured with me on bottom pic. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Very cool read and mod's. Sorry to hear about your back. Many of us here have similar problems to work around as well, I feel for ya. Gotta say, you did a great job on those oars from the looks of it.
How was the fish? Looks nice and fat. :D
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Very nice indeed!
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.