Everglades National Park

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Everglades National Park

Post by Todd »

This past weekend Rik, our brother Jeff from Colorado, Rik's son Adam and myself spent Friday through Tuesday camping/kayaking/fishing in the Everglades National Park.

Through lots of planning we picked Mormon Key as our destination. Rik and Adam were lucky enough to get down early enough on Thursday to secure our campsite from the rangers office. After picking up Jeff from the airport, he and I showed up in Everglades City around 7:30 Thursday night.

We contracted through Capt. Charles Wright to ferry our "stuff" out to the island. He had a charter that day so Capt. Wade helped Charles out and showed up at the dock right on time Friday morning. To say we had some "stuff" was an understatement. It is hard to pack light knowing you will be spending four days in the Everglades backcountry but we managed. Four guys, four guys camping gear, food and four kayaks really adds up.

It was a windy, and a little wet, ride out to Mormon Key but we made it safe and sound and unloaded our gear and waved goodbye to Capt. Wade. We set up camp and got organized and then set up for an afternoon paddle. It was my brother Jeff's first time kayak fishing so we set off to let him get his feet wet and get a view of our surroundings. My nephew lost a bruiser snook to the mangrove roots and not much else besides some ladyfish and jacks were found in that afternoon.

We awoke the next morning to a crisp morning and a beautiful sunrise.

As we took a walk along the beach we soon realized we did not have Mormon Key all to ourselves :shock:

We set off that day towards the Chatham River area. Getting used to river currents was a change but Rik was able to find a few fish along the way.

That afternoon my brother Jeff and I set off for a sunset paddle and we were rewarded with an awesome evening. Had to fight the "flying teeth" when we got too close to the trees but it was an absolutely gorgeous night.

Our campsite was more than adequate and was a great "home away from home". Nice area, very few bugs and plenty of firewood for some very nice "fire sculptures" at night with the driftwood washed ashore.

We did a lot of exploring and saw and fished several different areas close to Mormon Key. The fishing was not fantastic but there was enough to keep us interested. The wildlife we saw everyday was absolutely amazing-manatees, free jumping dolphing, rolling tarpon, some of the largest flocks of birds we had ever seen, it was endless.

Yes, even yours truly got into some topwater snook action.

Our brother from Colorado had a big learning curve to overcome as he is mostly a mountain fly fisherman. He finally got the hang of it and found a few snook on the topwater.

I wonder what kind of kayaks we have? I thought this was a cool picture.

In the end Capt. Wade picked us up right on time and we loaded up and headed back to Everglades City for a hot shower. It was a tremendous time with my brothers and nephew. We were blessed with great weather that gave us cool nights and tolerable days. Best of all I never used any bug spray all weekend.

This type of camping is not for everyone. But if you have done some "primitive" camping (and have the right equipment) put Everglades National Park on your to do list. You will not be disappointed.
Last edited by Todd on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Sounds like a good family time. Nice report.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Very nice, Todd. Spent a night on Morman Key a few years back during a 4 day trip from Choko. We got killed by the skeeters that night in late December. Glad you didn't experience the same. Great pics.
- Jon
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

Good stuff!!

Sounds like a great time.
Dave
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

Awesome report. Can't wait to do a trip like that.

Great shot by the way vvvvv

mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Quality. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
TK

Post by TK »

Hey Todd,

Sounds like a great trip. Great pix!

Any problems with critters other than gators?
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Outstanding..looks like and sounds like a good time was had by all.. 8)
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Nice Todd.

Looks like you guys did well.

Wait till the guys I went with see that gator photo :shock:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Schweet. 8)
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
Shep

Post by Shep »

Just awesome.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

TK wrote:Hey Todd,

Sounds like a great trip. Great pix!

Any problems with critters other than gators?
Thanks TK.

Critters-we had a rat that chewed a hole in Adam's tent looking for a free dinner and a few racoons that provided entertainment at night but other than that no problems.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I'd say it was pretty good evening temps for that kind of trip. Cool and fewer bugs. A campfire. Fantastic.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

That was the least alcohol I have seen in a glades camping report. Great pics and report.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rik

Post by Rik »

BearsFan wrote:That was the least alcohol I have seen in a glades camping report.
We packed light....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Rik wrote:
BearsFan wrote:That was the least alcohol I have seen in a glades camping report.
We packed light....
Excellent choice, i too have heard Light beer doesn't weigh as much.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -