UTB Report - Smart snook

Flamingo to Big Bend
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

UTB Report - Smart snook

Post by MarkM »

I had a few hours to fish this morning, so I hit a spot close to where I live. I don't think I've ever fished it in July, but I figured it was close and an easy paddle, so why not?

The first spot I hit was one that has held juvenile tarpon in the past, but a little later in the season. I guess things don't change because there weren't any to be found today either.

Next stop was to a freshwater spillover, hoping to find a snook taking advantage of last night's rainfall. Saw one bust water right at the dam, so that was enough to keep me throwing in there til my arm got tired, but never got so much as a hit. It was beginning to look as I expected: this area was not a prime summer spot.

Paddled my way out to the bay, loads of mullet in the creek on the way out there, but not much else. So, as I was now running out of time, I headed to my sure-fire spot on this cruise. Pulled up to a tiny creek mouth and on the second cast a nice snook slammed my new Skitterwalk. Had him hooked good and fought him for about 5 minutes, but I was in very close proximity to loads of mangroves which had plenty of water under them. Sure enough, I got the fish to the front of the boat and he slowly pulled me into the mangroves. I opened my bail, and backed the yak out of the trees and waited. A couple minutes later he came out, and as I tightened the line again, back in he went. Waited about 10 minutes this time, and when I pulled the line again it came out of the trees minus leader and lure. And that was the extent of my fishing for today. Paddled back home with my tail between my legs and a new skitterwalk stuck in some poor snook. :cry:
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

"E" for effort!! Nice try!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I never noticed you had a tail before! :lol:

Valiant effort Mark. Glad to hear you made it out. I'd like to go try out that area with you sometime. It's right on the way home from work..
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Yes Mark that Spillway is a fall or Winter spot :wink: My best trip there was the second week in December of 2003, first rain in 4 weeks and over 5" fell in one day. I caught 14 Snook in one night 12 of which were slot, and two of those were over slot, biggest being 34". I lost as many fish as I hooked that night, probably some were repeat hook ups.

Went back the following night and managed 10 more although there were smaller, mostly just under the slot.

Best Lure was the Crystal Minnow.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mako

Post by Mako »

The first spot I hit was one that has held juvenile tarpon in the past, but a little later in the season
I can't wait to try that spot this year. I've been there a couple times and heard of people catching them, but I haven't seen one yet.

This might be the year....I feel lucky :D

Mark, when the time is right, we'll hook up on a Friday afternoon and give it a try.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Count me in fellas!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Terrapin

Post by Terrapin »

I don't remember them inviting you.
"Cheap women, cheap wine, cheap money, cheap time these things do not exist..."
Mako

Post by Mako »

I don't care what they say about you John :wink:

you may come with us :D
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I
don't care what they say about you John
That makes two of us then Pete!
JSnooky

Post by JSnooky »

Im heart broken John! LOL ... just can't imagine where you might be talking about. Wait for the early winter rains and they will come. As for those Juvenile Tarpon Mark, they will come too .. I would give them about three to four more weeks. But I have no idea where you have been fishing and I want to keep it that way!
"Nooooooooo! Not unless you smell something!"
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Funny, Snooky, I can't remember where I was fishing either.... :wink:

But next time I go, you, John, Lively, and Mako are invited. Oh, and Terp, too.