straps?

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Redfisher

straps?

Post by Redfisher »

I know this may seem a little stupid but I'm curious.
I use the rachet straps to tie down my kayak. They hold very good but they are a pain to use and I always feel like I'm going to hurt my kayak because I tighten them too much.

What straps do you use? Is there something better/easier?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I guess I'm old school. I use rope.

I don't trust them little gizmos on those straps as much as I trust my knots. I tied stuff on top of a truck for years without one mishap.

However, on the long trips I'll use both at the key tie down points.

Ease up though on cinching down those ratcheting jobs ... you'll "dent" your kayak and/or canoe.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

....lmao...I must be paranoid....I use straps and rope on a trip!!!! don't trust anything!!
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Rik

Post by Rik »

Ratchet straps....the devil's creation. I've yet to come to terms with those things. Have several brand new ones in a corner of the garage somewhere.

I use the regular straps every kayak shop sells and/or bungee cords.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Coach

Post by Coach »

I have used the typical tie down straps with the cam thing on them for ten years without a problem. The ratchet can very easily damage a boat. It is too easy to put too much pressure on the boat. If you continue to use them, be very careful.
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

ROPE RATCHETS---They work great! I use them to tie down my yak and to hang it in my patio.

I just use two 1/4" size (Black/Red)--they have them at Home Depot. They are quick and easy!

Here is a link:
http://www.roperatchet.com/250ratchet.shtml
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

Been using ratchets since I got my 1st canoe, jeez I don't know,
WAY back in the day.
Do I just do it right or is there something I should worry abt?
Click to desired tightness, maybe a shot of WD40 every month or so,
Never a problem.
Should I know something I don't?
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I have yet to find a ratchet type tie down where the hooks are actually large enouph to fit around the round bars on my yakima rack. Rope has been working ok for now.
Yeah....I eat fish!!
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Snowman wrote:I have yet to find a ratchet type tie down where the hooks are actually large enouph to fit around the round bars on my yakima rack. Rope has been working ok for now.
I just wrap them around the bars.
I just went and bought the cam buckle type. soooo much easier!!
let's hope they hold as well!!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

redfisher wrote:
Snowman wrote: I just went and bought the cam buckle type. soooo much easier!!
Told ya, rachet straps are the devil's creation!

Just make sure you tie a half hitch or two with the tag end of the strap and it won't slip.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

used them today without a problem!
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

I use both. The rachet type is my favorite, and no problem if you "snug" it, not "clamp it down" like you're securing for a Class III hurricane.

The cam type tends to lossen a little on longer trips. This concerns me a little, so I always throw a hitch in the loose ends.
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

1 safety rope on the bow, 1 safety rope on the stern and nice new bungie cords the rest of the way. I haul mine on a trailer and have had it up to 75 miles per hour with no problem.

Doug
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.