To Rudder, or Not to Rudder?

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
ratherbefishin

To Rudder, or Not to Rudder?

Post by ratherbefishin »

Been on my P13 for about a year without a rudder and seem to do fine, but I'm interested in what those who do use a rudder find most beneficial to fishing. I am definitely into fishing, not touring, in fact, the less I have to paddle the better.

How does it help when using a drift sock?

I tilt my Prowler up onto an SUV, bow first, any loading problems? I can see where there would be with my method of loading.

Is it worth the $? I might be better off spending the money on a cart instead, but won't use this every trip, where I would obviously use the rudder every trip.

If you use a rudder, is one better than another?

I see a lot of regulars that fish frequently, if not daily that don't use a rudder, so I'm wondering if they are over hyped.

Thanks for any input.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

It's an ongoing discussion....

For me, I wouldn't have a kayak without a rudder. I bought my first kayak, a Tarpon 16, with one so I had no experience without one. When I got my Tarpon 14, I got it without a rudder. I paddled it for about 9 months without and finally put one on.

They are invaluable when drifting a flat or a mangrove edge. When going from point A to point B, they aren't really needed.

Paddling in rough weather is another time it comes in handy. The rudder allows you to keep your direction without having to vary your paddle stroke from side to side.

When using a drift sock, the rudder is essentially useless.

You do have to use extra caution when loading and unloading so you don't bang the rudder too hard. The brackets can bend however, it is an easy fix, just bend it back.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

I don't have a rudder on my yak, but my fishing buddy does have a rudder.

A rudder is on my Christmas wish list.

While my fishing partner can drift and spend his time fishing, I'm drifting and constantly having to use my paddle to correct my drift (takes away from time better spent fishing)

As for loading issues, that shouldn't be a problem, all the rudders I've seen when not in use flip up on top of the yak, out of the way.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

A rudder is great to have. But not 100% necessary. trouttracker mentioned the paddle corrections if you don't have a rudder. No doubt it's great to just shift your feet to change the angle of the boat without having to set your fishing rod down.

My issue is with loading the kayaks on the roof rack and taking them down. There are no issues with kayaks without rudders for the handling but with a kayak with a rudder mount on the back, you can do a lot of damage to it if you bang in on something while moving the boat.

Mako is a guy to consult on this issue. He took a length of pool noodle and cushioned the bottom of his rudder. That has to be helpful in those situations.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I have never been given a good explanation to not have a rudder. If you can afford it go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Mako puts the pool noodle on his rudder so he does not bang up his hatch on the rudder.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Todd wrote:Mako puts the pool noodle on his rudder so he does not bang up his hatch on the rudder.
He also hit his head too many times lifting it by himself...thats one of the reasons why he talks funny, adding the noodle has curbbed the effects somewhat.
- Jon
chewbaka1973

rudders

Post by chewbaka1973 »

Curt, i attached a link to an article that discusses this question.
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=49
I currently own a Tarpon 140 without a rudder and have been looking into getting one. I have heard only good thinks about them.
Here also is a link to a rudder kit that will fit many different boats including yours.
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/Mercha ... ry_Code=RD
The KFS rudder kit has what you need for under $200.
Good luck!
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
ettienne

Post by ettienne »

An alternate rudder for $136 + shipping
http://topkayaker.net/TopKayakerShop/in ... cts_id=166

...or if you want to spend less ($56+shipping)
http://topkayaker.net/TopKayakerShop/in ... cts_id=280

I fitted above rudder to my kayak with home made aluminum toe controls plus cables and hardware for under $100.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

It can also depend on the boat. My first 4 SOT did not have rudders, and I never really saw the need. Both my Tarpons have rudders, and I would never be without one again, at least on those boats. It is much easier to paddle with the rudder than without, and drifting shorelines has become something that is fun, rather than work. It does add weight, and makes lifting the boat up high harder. But I think it is worth having one.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I was one of those guys that thought a rudder was being over-hyped...til I got one!!

Last weekend we fished all three days after Thanksgiving in winds from 10-25 mph....altho its never fun to paddle against the wind we simply started out going into the wind for several miles and the rudder kept the bow of my T14 straight into the wind which helped tremendously as its a lot easier cutting thru wind than going the least bit broadside to it!

Once we reached out destination we turned around, let the wind spend the next several hours driving us home while we fished for hours. Hardly touched my paddle on the way home....it made all the hard paddling into the wind worthwhile.

We are working up plans to figure the winds each time we fish and to do the "drop off" and " pick up" thing whereby we park trucks at two different locations...launch at one spot and drift fish with the wind to the second drop off location several hours down wind. With a rudder we will be able to spend most of our time fishing as we drift.

I'll NEVEr be without a rudder again!

Bob
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I fish a T160 and probably won't ever add a rudder to my own boat, although I have spent time in a T160 with a rudder. They are certainly useful for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but I rarely if ever drift fish. Personally, I also don't find a rudder necessary for paddling. For some of the fly-fishing I do, a rudder might cause some issues as well.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it. you have no idea how much misery you folks prevent by being so helpful to us rookies.

Still considering but you gave me a lot to think about. Thanks, again.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

Does anyone know if this yakima rudder will work on the P-15?