Spring Break Report.

Flamingo to Big Bend
spf105

Spring Break Report.

Post by spf105 »

Due to school and work, I haven't been able to fish in months, (before the Hooters Gathering.) Seeing as this week is my spring break, I had today off to finally do some fishing.

I woke up at around 6 and got to the launch at around 7. After not catching a red in that amount of time, I decided to target them mainly. Once I got to my first spot I started throwing a DOA Paddle Tail, and after seeing a swirl and some bait jump, I toss it right to it. After twitching my bait a couple times, I get a hit! I set the hook and the line goes limp. When I reel my line in, I find that the leader broke at the knot connecting my two lines.

I retie with the same lure and I get nothing...

Put an Exude Dart on and...

Nothing!

By now I'm getting worried. Then I look in my box and see a MirroMinnow. Remembering seeing glass minnows when I was passing under the bridge, I put it on.

I start casting and cast towards a swirl, and BAM!!! it attacks my lure. Now Ive got a fish on and aint nothin' gonna go wrong...

Nothing...

The red came unbuttoned after diving down into the grass.

Drats!!! This is going to be a horrible day!!!

I start casting more and hook up to another red, this time I keep him high in the water and land a nice 18" red:

This is the first red I've landed in months and I'm ecstatic! I can't wait to get another one.

After I release the red and start casting again, I hook up again to another red:

This one's 18.5 and after some thought, I decided to keep him so that I may know what a red tastes like, (I've never eaten redfish.)

By now, I'm thinking this is turning into a pretty nice day, then another hook up...

This fish however is fighting strange, weaker than a red but stronger than a trout. I get it close and what do I find on the end of my line...

A Mullet!!!

I would have never expected a mullet to hit my lure, but there it was.

After getting the hooks out, it shook loose before I was able to snap a picture. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky with another one, Nah impossible...

Or so I thought:

Yep, Hooked another one.

You know, for a vegetarian, they're pretty fast.

It was darting all over as I was trying to recover line, but I got it landed and was able to snap a pic. Decided to keep this one and give it to GRF when I return his cooler. I fished for another hour and a half, but the wind drove me off the water.

Today was the best day I've had in months, I'm glad I was able to experience it.
-Shawn-
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Where are the girls in bikinis? Did anyone else expect to see some co-eds in this topic?

You know, for a vegetarian, they're pretty fast.
That should be your new sig line.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

LivelyBaits wrote:Where are the girls in bikinis? Did anyone else expect to see some co-eds in this topic?
That's what I was expecting... where are the babes Shawn??!!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
spf105

Post by spf105 »

You know, I took lots of pics of the girls in/out of bikinis, but my camera fell in the water. :twisted:
-Shawn-
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Dude, you kept the wrong fish!!!
Please, call me Kate
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Where are the girls in bikinis? Did anyone else expect to see some co-eds in this topic?
That is exactly what I expected..shees ..fish...
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

This topic should be renamed "Mullet Gone Wild, the DVD!"
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Nice mullet. The girls must be taking the pictures right............ right
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Spectaculous!

I too and others as well have caught mullet on the mirrow minnow....
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS