Why did you get into Paddle Fishing?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

i was coming down to florida from NC to visit family and wanted to be able to go fishing. i couldnt tow a boat that far and didnt want to fish from piers or strictly wade, so i borrowed my buddy's sit inside yak. took it over in mosquito lagoon and had a blast w/ the redfish. i came back up here and caught some trout w/ it a few nights and knew i had to have one. bought a tarpon 100 for financial reasons and took it back down there to florida again. a few weeks ago i upgraded to a 120 and i use it ALL THE TIME.
lazywader

Post by lazywader »

I quit sniffing airplane glue and had to find a new vise!!!!!!!
....They say you are a snuff queen, honey I don't think it's true......................
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

It is all Erick's fault.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Cheap and effective and convenient.
JSnooky

Post by JSnooky »

Because the MAN put a LOCKING BOOT on my Boat Trailer!
"Nooooooooo! Not unless you smell something!"
Shighnote

Post by Shighnote »

I got tired of wading in knee deep muck, but did not want the problems with maintaning a boat. So I bought a kayak easy load and quick clean up, the best part no waiting at boat ramp you can launch almost anyware.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I got into yak-fishing to gain access to areas that are too hazardous/shallow for 99% of boats. I'll never be without a boat though...I enjoy too many varieties of fishing that are impossible/dangerous in a kayak.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Here is why I stated, long with some other reasons that the sport is so popular ... :)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

I couldn't afford my boat anymore. :cry:
Fish hard..rest when ya die!
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Just joined the fun and posted this late from the others.
Being a "Hillbilly" from North West Arkansas kayaks are for white water, small canoes are for fishing.........before I got some education. Bought 9'8" one person canoes with yak paddles and started fishing the "Worlds Best Small Mouth Bass Creeks" years ago. Have fished the Trout streams, Bass holes, Bayous, even some "Mud Holes" and always catch fish. My wife likes the fact we can go an get the spots we each want and then meet up for down streaming. Brought the canoes down here and haven't been able to change. Sit a little higher than Yaks and don't track as well but "what the hey!"

http://www.buffalocanoes.com/10_foot.htm[/quote]
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

i love fishing, and fishing once a week with my grandfather on his 20 foot triumph just wasnt enough, i got all day (i dont work till 5pm) and all week to fish, but nuthin to go out on during the week when my grandfather cant take me. i also tend to get bored when the fish arent biting and we are out there. nothing to look at in the deep blue yonder, you cant see anything but boat and water. i also been watching programs about fishing the flats and it sparked an interest, however we cant get into shallow water with a boat that big. i then seen a kayaker on the way in from a day, and low and behold, that thing has rod holders!!! i decided to pick one up. i looked around and went to different stores and asked for advice, they hooked me up and suggested the ocean kayak scrambler xt would be best, and i bought it. i went out the first day, nuthin was biting, so i paddled around i looked down as a school of mullet passed under me like i wasnt even there, then i decided to just look into the water and drift, i passed over a stingray, and blue crabs, then i hear something above and its a spoonbill flying overhead, i then see needlefish swimming around the mangrove line, i got so facinated about waht was going on under and around me, before i knew it, it was already time to head in and from then on i realised, in one day i had $500 worth of fun and i didnt even catch a fish. and i been hooked to my kayak ever since
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I was content with life and then Jeff started showing me his kayak and telling lies about all the fish he caught. I was trying to talk my wife into a Harley Davidson and she was totally freaked out. After giving in to her fears, I said "Why don't we get a couple of kayaks?" She was so relieved, she went for it and the rest is history.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
whodog

Post by whodog »

Foolish me, I thought it would be cheaper, easier & I wouldn't be bothered by other boaters as much.

What was I thinking! :shock:

(Besides I already had a canoe.) :wink:

(All kidding aside, I'm trying to put some food on the table.)
Michael
Never mind.......
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Row Row Row your boat

Post by Fishaddict »

When I was a young fella, 10-15 yo, I lived in the Hoosier state and dad bought some land on a lake. I fished from the bank til all the lots were sold and then I got a surplus One-man life raft. I loved that, Pump it up and a cheap paddle and off I went. The fish didn't have a chance. Talk about getting in skinny water...

Then I moved up to a 12 ft flat bottom row boat, a skiff they called it. We moved to FL and brought the boat with us and fished off an on at the end of 49th street N in St Pete. before there was even talk of a bridge. Large trout and lots of bait.

Then I got married, went into the service and retired. Was told by financial advisor NO BOAT.. Too expensive. Get a Kayak.

I checked them out and got my kayak. Love it.

Keeps the old legs in great shape and the beauty of nature.

That's why I have a Kayak.