One-piece vs 2-piece rods

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Mako

One-piece vs 2-piece rods

Post by Mako »

By mistake, I just bought a couple of 2-piece spinning rods and I wonder if anyone out there has had any bad experiences with them.

I'm relatively new to using spinning and was strictly a baitcaster user.

I even thought about gluing the 2 pieces together :shock:

Any comments are appreciated
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I will never buy a 1-piece rod again. Sooner or later, it will end up being 2 or three pieces..... :x

I'm no expert, but I've never had an issue with 2-piece rods.
James

"... but home to the bank came he, and the remorseless reel gathered up the thread of his life inch by inch." -Kipling
fishinfoflounder

1 or 2

Post by fishinfoflounder »

I really don't care for spinning tackle anyway and I'm not too excited about 2 piece rods. I know they've come a long way since the day.
The major problem I see with them is that you loose a some sensitivity & strength.
Another thing I've seen is the 2 pieces come apart while fighting a fish, I've also seen the top half launched when the rod was cast. Most of these were probably a little older rods & the quality has no doubt improved.
If it were me however I'd return them & get 1 piece rods ( :idea: with baitcasters on them). :lol:
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

The loss of sensitivity is minor, if any. If you notice, most fly fishermen use three and four piece rods. If you keep sand out of the ferrule, they are as good. There's a general prejudice against two piece rods, but I find little difference. If you mainly soak bait, you'll not notice a difference. You could also do what I do, never take them apart. Of course, I've 8 feet of truck bed to haul my rods in. As for spinning equipment, it'll do you just fine.
Rooster

Re: 1 or 2

Post by Rooster »

fishinfoflounder wrote:2 pieces come apart while fighting a fish, I've also seen the top half launched when the rod was cast.
I have fished 2 piece rods for 16 years and have never had any of these problems with any of the two piece rods I have owned.... way back in 1960 this may have been a problem, but this has never been a problem in my lifetime, there is nothing wrong with a good two piece rod.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
kspops

Post by kspops »

I have only had a problem with my 2 piece rod coming apart when I have reeled the swivel between the line and leader into the top guide. 1 time in about 18 years of fishing 2 piece rods. My $.02
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

Best thing about a two piece rod, you can take it apart and it fits behind the seat of the truck.
flyfisher000

Post by flyfisher000 »

I have a Winston 5wt. 5 piece fly rod. You can't tell the difference in the action beween that rod and a 1 piece rod. With a 1 piece rod you will most of the time have to bend it a litttle to make it fit in the car.
Having no Luck is a good thing.
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

That Winston sounds sweet.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I even thought about gluing the 2 pieces together
??? :roll:

Peter..you really shouldn't feel an appreciative amount of difference than a one piece.
Be sure to lube the solid piece before you put it onto the ferrule portion.
Believe it or not just run the solid piece up against your nose to get some lube...Then just seat it firmly...No Joke... No Kidding.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
whodog

Post by whodog »

mauso1 wrote:...just run the solid piece up against your nose to get some lube...Then just seat it firmly...No Joke... No Kidding.
Dang! I though I was the only one that did that.
It really works. You can tighten the 2 pieces tighter than you normally would and the 2 halves come apart every time w/o force. (The only good thing my old man taught me about fishing.)

Geez mauso1, just how OLD are you?? :lol: I learned that back in the middle of the last century.
Michael
Never mind.......
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

Bar soap also works as a lube.
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

My fly rods are 3 pieces and I have a couple 2 piece spinning rods. I have never had a problem. The way you are supposed to put a rod together is to line up one piece about a 1/4 turn off from being straight with the other piece. Put them together firmly lined up slightly off like that. Then apply more pressure (don't over do it ) as you turn it to line up correctly. This gives you a much more secure fit than if you line them up and just push them together. Most good fly rods have line up marks to make it easier than looking down the guides. If you plan to take your rods apart very often you could put small marks on them to aid in lining the 2 pieces up.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Mako

Post by Mako »

thanks for all the comments...I feel more comfortable now :)

Randy.... should I rub the inside or outside of my nose? :shock:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Mako wrote:
Randy.... should I rub the inside or outside of my nose?
Your Pick :lol:

whoodog wrote:
Geez mauso1, just how OLD are you??
Odds are 37-1 that I am older than your Old Man..

Let me tell ya:

In 2000 the census takers came by and of course one of the questions they ask is how old you are.

Well I didn't really want to tell them but they kept on insisting that I disclose my age.

I asked them if everybody else on the block had told them their age?

They said "Yes Sir........everybody on the block"

What about my neighbors across the street..the old spinster Hill ladies?

Did they tell you how old they are?

The census taker said "Yes Sir...the Hill Sisters did tell us how old they are.

To which I replied " Well then young man just put down that I'm older than the Hills".
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I've been using 2-piece rods only for a long time. For my needs, it does fine. I have been upgrading reels lately though. I figure a decent rod, coupled with a good reel is a better way to spend my money.

My current fav rod is a Shimano Scimitar ... $30 at Sports Authority.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association