One-piece vs 2-piece rods

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Ive used two and three piece rods my whole life, they are standard in the UK. Never had a problem with them, never had a rod come apart either.

They're really is no disecernable diffeference in sensitivity, or in the action, I've landed fish up to 77lb on two piece rods and they were just fine.

Since getting my new truck which has shorter 6'6" bed, I'll be gradually switching over to two pieces just for the ease of transporting them.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
fishinfoflounder

Sensitivty

Post by fishinfoflounder »

flyfisher000 wrote:I have a Winston 5wt. 5 piece fly rod. You can't tell the difference in the action beween that rod and a 1 piece rod. With a 1 piece rod you will most of the time have to bend it a litttle to make it fit in the car.
Sensitivity really isn't an issue when fly fishing as you're not feeling the bite you're watching the line.
I'm not trying to turn every post into an arguement. Just giving my views sometime a little crass. I fish alot of water salt & fresh. With larger harder hitting saltwater fish sensitivity isn't so much an issue but , fishing Largemouth Bass after a cold front. It's an issue.
If there was no discernable difference in one or 2 or 3 piece rods they wouldn't make 1 piece rods. So far as strength try cranking in a 90 lb. king on a 2 piece. Does the word splinters mean anything to you?
Facts are facts 1 piece rods are more sensitive,stronger & less likely to give you any of the problems you can incur using a multipiece rod.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

Even under those conditions, sensitivity of two piece rods compared to one piece is insignificant. As for not making one piece rods if two piece ones were more sensitive, most likely, one piece rods are less costly to make. If looking for sensitivity, one best go for the rod with a high modulus factor. As for feeling the bite when fly fishing as opposed to watching the line, sensitiviy is important for feeling the bite, as well as line control.
fishinfoflounder

1 piece,stronger,more sensitive,more sense

greyloon wrote:Even under those conditions, sensitivity of two piece rods compared to one piece is insignificant. As for not making one piece rods if two piece ones were more sensitive, most likely, one piece rods are less costly to make. If looking for sensitivity, one best go for the rod with a high modulus factor. As for feeling the bite when fly fishing as opposed to watching the line, sensitiviy is important for feeling the bite, as well as line control.
I'm not certain but I believe if you look in most rod building catalogues 1 piece blanks are more expensive than 2 pc. An uninterupted plane of material is always more sensitive & stronger than 2 pieces linked together by whatever means. And with my relatively minimal flyfishing adventures sensitivity has virtually no effect on detecting a strike.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

Light bites when fly fishing, just as when bass fishing, are best felt with a sensitive rod. It makes a difference. My high modulus graphite fly rod telegraphs the lite bite quickly and its not watching the line. That's especially true in low light conditions or when fishing deep with a fly rod. In the world of fly fishing, at least that I'm used to, sensitivity is important. The number of pieces is pretty insignificant compared to the quality of the rod blank.

As for one piece blanks being more expensive, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Again, it depends on the blank. One reason they may appear more expensive is that the high quality blanks tend to be one piece...as much demand as anything else and the cheaper blanks come either way.
fishinfoflounder

greyloon wrote:As for one piece blanks being more expensive, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Again, it depends on the blank. One reason they may appear more expensive is that the high quality blanks tend to be one piece...as much demand as anything else and the cheaper blanks come either way.
Because they're more sensitive in a one piece construction. The manufacturers know this. Truth's truth.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

fishinfoflounder wrote:Truth's truth.
In the mouth of the beholder. I use both in several lengths and weights. There is no significant difference.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
fishinfoflounder

tropview wrote:
fishinfoflounder wrote:Truth's truth.
In the mouth of the beholder. I use both in several lengths and weights. There is no significant difference.
Maybe you're just numb.Poor circulation possibly.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

So far as strength try cranking in a 90 lb. king on a 2 piece. Does the word splinters mean anything to you?
I'd like to see that 90lb king!

I have landed a 77lb Nile Perch, a fish from the same genus as the Snook, yes imagine a 77lb Snook, running, jumping, leaping, sounding, I played that fish to the shore in less than a half hour, and my two piece rod was never in danger of splintering or being under powered in strength.

Like I said in Europe, multi-piece rods are the norm, for all kinds of fishing some with so much sensitivity you can feel a 6 ounce fish bite, with 30 yards of line out. I

I've fished with them for over 30 years never yet have I had one of my rods come apart, sure if some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing doesn't push them together and then twist them to line them up, it can happen.

We're fishing for hard hitting saltwater fish, I stand by my comments that a two piece rod is every bit as serviceable as a one piece.

I built my own three piece rod, on a St. Croix Avid blank, I've handed people that rod, to fish with and every single person fell in love with it's, action and sensitivity, most did not even realise it was a multi-piece until I told them.

All of them asked me to build them one the same.
I really don't care for spinning tackle anyway
Seems you don't fish with two peice spinning tackle yet you're still an expert on them :lol:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
fishinfoflounder

John wrote:
I really don't care for spinning tackle anyway
Seems you don't fish with two peice spinning tackle yet you're still an expert on them :lol:
I know enough about them to know they're inferior. Trinkets for women & children. That's why I don't fish with them, guess I just outgrew them.
mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

"YOU GOT NUTTIN!"
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

90 lb King would win a lot of tournaments!! They also probably would not ask you at the weigh in if you used a 1 piece rod or a 2 piece rod.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
fishinfoflounder

FishingDL wrote:90 lb King would win a lot of tournaments!! They also probably would not ask you at the weigh in if you used a 1 piece rod or a 2 piece rod.
They wouldn't have to. Anybody with half a brain knows fishing a 2 piece would end up " The one that got away"
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Sounds like ColeMarston talking is it another incarnation?

I'd still like to see a pic of that 90lb king!

Here's some video of Nile Perch for your pleasure. I also hooked up with a few fish over 100LBS, Rod didn't snap but the line did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYNtev1iHls

And I doubt this fish went a 100lb, closer to 80lb, and that's why they didn't weigh him :wink:

Heres some Limey's doing it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6QmEsC49E

I gotta tell you, tis the best damn eating fish i ever tasted too.

I hope to go back in a few years and try it again.
fishinfoflounder

Looks like conventional tackle

If you're going to go to the trouble of sending a video make sure you got your shit straight. The rod in the video wasn't a spinning rod or 2 piece. That's probably not you fishing either.
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

He didn't say it was. Just showing what a Nile Perch is.

Chill
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215