el cheapo dry storage

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
ratherbefishin

el cheapo dry storage

Post by ratherbefishin »

Just read Heywood's story about dropping his keys in the fishing reports section and I thought this may be of use to some of you.

The "dry hatch" in my Prowler is occasionally not dry. Despite putting wallet & keys in a ziplock bag, they did get moist once. Plus, it is difficult to open while on the water should I need to, i.e. FWC wants to see my license.

Since I use a milkcrate, while shopping at an Albertsons several weeks ago I saw a thermos (about quart size) that had a very wide mouth with a scew top and is apparently meant for cool drinks since it has a pour spout in the lid. It also has slots into which a tether/strap can be threaded.

Brought it home and used zipties through the slot to my crate along the top. It rides high on the crate, fits wallet, keys great, keeps everything bone dry and is very light and easy to get to if I need it.

If you don't use a crate, it could even be bungied or ziptied to seat straps or anywhere else convenient.

I think it cost 5 bucks, maybe 6. Still cheaper than a dry bag and it works for me.

They also make one that is about 8" wide and shallow, only about 10" (half gallon?)that my wife uses to carry ice water for our dog at competetions, but that one does not have a slot for the zip ties but I'm sure something could be worked out if you needed a larger one.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Don't forget the trusty peanut butter jar that fits in the cockpit hatch holes of most kayaks. :wink: No clips or bungees on them though.

Also most West Marine/ Boaters World have small flip up "dry boxes" that are just a little bigger than a pack of smokes. They do have a cord attched to them and most cell phones and or keys will fit it them.
I keep my cell phone /license dry in one . West usually has them right up front by the counter..$5-6
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
kspops

Post by kspops »

I have found dry bags the size of sandwich ziplock bags to the gallon size. They have a velcro fastner that requires a fold over of about 3 times at Sports Authority. Coleman brand, They come in a pack of 3, sized small, as stated above, med and large, gallon size. I use the small for my wallet. Medium for my cell phone and camera. and the large I use for map cases. They are not clear, but will keep the contents dry. :)
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
beyondhelp

Post by beyondhelp »

I keep eyeing these at the grocery store but haven't tried them yet since I have a perfectly good peanut butter jar but I am thinking of getting one for my non paddle boat since there isn't any dry storage.

http://organize.com/lolofostco.html

Sorry, image wouldn't work.
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Tupper ware!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

beyondhelp wrote:I keep eyeing these at the grocery store but haven't tried them yet since I have a perfectly good peanut butter jar but I am thinking of getting one for my non paddle boat since there isn't any dry storage.

http://organize.com/lolofostco.htm
can totally recommend them, i use the same over here, perfect for everything, totally waterproof, easy to open/close and cheap as chips, the small round one fits nicely into the dry hatch on the p-13.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
greyloon

Post by greyloon »

I've been pleased with my Pelican dry boxes. After nearly 3 years, still no leaks. The cost a bit, but have been worth it. Keeps my keys, wallet, and cell phone safe, as well as my camera when I remember it.