Fishing Logs - Do You Keep One?

Do You Keep a Fishing Log and if so, Do You Use This Data To Alter Your Fishing Technique?

I do not keep a fishing log.
71%
I keep a fishing log, but don't know how to utilize the data.
3%
I keep a fishing log, and utilizing the data has greatly improved my fishing ability.
26%

Total votes: 31

J.P. FROG

Fishing Logs - Do You Keep One?

Post by J.P. FROG »

I was curious as to how many of you keep a detailed log of your fishing trips and how you apply the information gathered to improve your fishing.

For those that actually keep a fishing log, how detailed (what type of information do you record) and do you keep your log in a notebook or do you use a software program, and if you use a software program what program works well for you.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

i use to but how many times can you write SKUNK in a book
0 0 1
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

I take pictures of every trip and that really helps me remember what happened, where, and when... It's all online.
madmarco

Post by madmarco »

I do not keep at log book, but I understand the importance.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Up until about a year ago I was rather deligent in maintaining a log but as of late I haven't been.

I suppose it is because I haven't fished quite as much. I think though that the the less you fish the more important it is to keep a log. If you are out on the water more than once a week the log is still important but you are more in tune with what the fish are doing on a daily basis and don't need notes to help you remember.
TRUE
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I used to keep very detailed notes for the first cople of years, now no so much, but I do log all my Tarpon trips, but like Shamus says, writing SKUNK, gets very demoralizing!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

I don't use a log. I go fishing when I can and where I feel like it. The information I need I can store in my somewhat limited brain.

I know I go to Fort D. in the winter and fall.
I go to CRB during the summer.
There are one or two places where tarpon show up that they are easy to fish for from a kayak.

Don't need much of log for that.

Most times I catch something. Sometimes I don't. OH, well.

J
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I have been keeping them for a while. My father-in-law has been keeping them for over twenty years. We use them as general guides as changing conditions make each year different.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

I havent kept one yet but do see where it would help. Any suggestions on a good log?
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I kept a log book for many years. I still do but not as detailed as it once was. I just use a calendar and keep info on where, when, tides, solunar and weather. Writing skunk does get old but it does not happen that often.

My log book consists of a calendar, pretty simple. I think the log book helps you in that it makes you pay attention to the days and areas that worked for you and maybe why. There will always be exceptions to the rule, and the logook, unfortunately.

I know if I look at tides/solunar/weather I can choose an area to fish much easier based off info I have put into a logbook over the years.
forced2work

Post by forced2work »

[quote="Todd"] Writing skunk does get old but it does not happen that often.

quote]

it's not nice to lye todd....

Gold spoon chucker out
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

Todd wrote:There will always be exceptions to the rule, and the logook, unfortunately.

Where can I get a logook and does it really help with the fishing. :wink:

J
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

JayB wrote:
Todd wrote:There will always be exceptions to the rule, and the logook, unfortunately.

Where can I get a logook and does it really help with the fishing. :wink:

J
You can only get one of those if you have a keyboard that has staples stuck under the "b" button.
Mako

Post by Mako »

real fishermen don't need a log book 8)
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Shep

Post by Shep »

I don't keep a log.
It wouldn't help me anyways.
New place, new fishing adventures.
whodog

Post by whodog »

Log book! We don't need no stinkin' log book!.

Besides, the entries would all be the same.

Day1: Went fishing from dawn to dusk. Threw this, that & the other thing but no hits. Threw spoon, caught sailcats. Went home.

Day2: Went fishing from dawn to dusk. Threw this, that & the other thing but no hits. Threw spoon, caught sailcats. Went home.

Day3: Went fishing from dawn to dusk. Threw this, that & the other thing but no hits. Threw spoon, caught sailcats. Threw something else & snagged fish in the mouth when it accidentally ran into lure with open mouth. Went home.

Day4: Went fishing from dawn to dusk. Threw this, that & the other thing but no hits. Threw spoon, caught sailcats. Went home.

Repeat, ad nauseum.......
Michael
Never mind.......