07.28.07 Saturday Morning Fishing, A good day!

Flamingo to Big Bend
whodog

07.28.07 Saturday Morning Fishing, A good day!

Post by whodog »

Planning to go out early, just before sunrise. Any one want to get together?

Now I'm thinking I'd like to try a new area & head out to the shoal in that area to see if anything bites. (Way, way too much grass in the usual Ft D area.)
Looks like a fast rising tide until 11. Should be plenty of moving water in that area.
Last edited by whodog on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael
Never mind.......
whodog

Post by whodog »

What a hole! Was treated to an amazing Tampa Bay sunrise (never get tired of those) & a good morning of fishing.

Got out on the water before the sun came up. Started off right away with lots of little hits when suddenly the bite turned on. Lasted for a couple hours, then it all came to an end about an hour before high tide. Lots of moving water & very little floating grass.

Hooked into lots of Trout. Some looked to be in the 20's, but of course those 2 spit the jig out (or I ripped it out). Ladyfish were present, of course. One was 21", but the rest were typical 12-16". Even caught 2 miniature (5") Gag Grouper (I think). Caught some small ugly thing with horns on it's head. It was mostly mouth & stomach with fins that looked more like wings. (Closest picture I can find is a Sculpin. Anyone know what it was that I caught?) All hook-ups were either on gold flake jigs w/ 1/8 oz. head or a spook jr.
Saw some Snook landed but didn't get any myself. At least I know where to look tomorrow. Was introduced to some hot Redfish areas (so I'm told). Even saw a small group(?) pod(?) of Tarpon rolling not too far off shore about an hour after sunrise. (What I wouldn't have given for a crab at that moment.) They didn't seem interested in a jig or a spook jr.

Also ran into a seasoned kayak fisher that showed me some secret holes. Bumped into him while launching & he didn't seem too keen on talking to anyone. But after an hour or 2 on the water we crossed paths & spent a half hour chatting & fishing. He shared lots of info & advice. (Whoever you are thanks for all the info.)
Michael
Never mind.......
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

I saw your first post while in Port Charlotte visiting family. I would have replied and gone with you, had I been back in the St. Pete. area.

Sounds like you had a good time in 'fishy' waters. I'd like to have been with you. The strange fish you mention, sounds like it could be a mother-in-law fish.

Although we cross paths at the BACK meetings and Goombas, we haven't done any fishing together. Lets get together and do some fishing together one of these days.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
whodog

Post by whodog »

That looks very much like the ugly bugger. Seems to me that mine was shorter overall. Less body, more mouth. Same general appearance, though.

And I think it would be a splendid idea to get together. I have a more traditional work schedule than yours, :) so weekends are the best times for me. We'll talk & I'm sure we can come up with a time.

BTW - I'm going back to the same spot early tomorrow morning w/ Rooster. I'll send you a PM with info just in case your interested.
Last edited by whodog on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Never mind.......
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

whodog wrote: BTW - I'm going back to the same spot early tomorrow morning w/ Rooster. I'll send you a PM with info just in case your interested.
Unfortunately, Sundays are my Mondays. Sunday is the start of my work week. Have fun, and good luck to both of you.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Sounds like a great day on the water...
Wonder who the crusty old veteran was?
sounds like it could be a mother-in-law fish.
Gary..where did you find that pic of my MIL??
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

mauso1 wrote:Sounds like a great day on the water...
sounds like it could be a mother-in-law fish.
Gary..where did you find that pic of my MIL??
Your MIL Randy :?: If that is the case, than Terry and Carrie are twins :shock: or at the very least sisters :roll:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

If that is the case, than Terry and Carrie are twins
That's why mama used the rhyming names... :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
whodog

Post by whodog »

mauso1 wrote:Sounds like a great day on the water...
It wasn't you, by any chance, was it?
Michael
Never mind.......
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I thought the Dogfish was the MIL Fish.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"