Night fishing Fort D

Flamingo to Big Bend
TerryW

Night fishing Fort D

Post by TerryW »

Shortcast, Tropview, Paddlaroun, Ms. Paddlaroun, and I headed to Fort Desoto last evening for some low tide, sunset/moonlight fishing. Except for a too close encounter some lightning, it was a beautiful night to be on the water and I got my skunk off with two 21" reds. It was especially cool to see two schools of redfish humps in the moonlight...

Shortcast started out with a snook that was almost as long as he is tall. :wink:

Tiffany briefly considered dunking Dan. That had to be tempting.

We stopped on a sandbar to grab some supper and a cool one, but were run off by the lightning. Luckily, the storm moved east as we paddled west into the sunset.

Fort D is an excellent spot for some night fishing. Until the midnight paddle back in, we had a very pleasant breeze, only a few skeeters, and almost zero boat traffic. Great spot for a future moon-lit Goomba.

I can't think of a much better way to spend an evening than being on the water fishing at sunset and moon rise with kayakangling buddies!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Nice report and pics. I am tempted to go out tonight.
CB

Post by CB »

Looks like a good time was had by all. Norm is that the "Pompetus of Love 1"? Nice looking craft . I know your taller than the snook but I don't know if the tail was pinched might need a close up on the measuring board
:lol: :lol: :lol: .
Just kidding Norm , you da man.
Watching the years go by like weekends out of the corner of my eye.
Shep

Post by Shep »

Very nice pics.
New place, new fishing adventures.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Terry were you in Fort D proper or Shell key the reason I ask is becuase I got into trouble one time for fishing inside Fort D, after dark, Ranger was most upset that I was in the park after hours!

If you were inside the park, have the relaxed the rules?
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

John wrote:Terry were you in Fort D proper or Shell key the reason I ask is becuase I got into trouble one time for fishing inside Fort D, after dark, Ranger was most upset that I was in the park after hours!

If you were inside the park, have the relaxed the rules?
Where does the park officially begin? We launch just past the 35 cent toll and fished the north side of Bunces Channel.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I think the park starts when you cross the $.35 bridge, and you will be asked to leave in there after dark.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=1

Post by Norm »

Was a fun evening needless to say...but it was all downhill after my snook. Tide was as low as I have seen it out there...sorta reminded me of some of the winter lows. I had gotten to a somewhat deeper area near Sister Key when I spotted a hole I had just gone past. I made the long cast back just past the hole and moved my bait across the hole. Just as it got to the near side the water exploded..I think this is where I say BLAMO! He was quite the acrobat with several jumps and runs. Got him in as quickly as I could and fortunately we were able to get a pic or two. I just roughly measured him with one of the fold out rulers and he was definitely at least 28inches and might have been more but I didnt think it was really necessary to be too exact. Suffice it to say...Mr Snook paid his dues :wink: Shortly after this Terry landed a 21in Red.
We checked out a few other holes left high and dry. Here is Terry up to her knees in it...

Ft Desoto does lend itself well to night fishing because of the huge flats with little or no boat traffic. Have to say I sweated more last night than it seems I usually do during a day trip. Went thru alot of water and other liquids... :roll: Just be cautious of the large schools of mullet.. :lol: I just knew I was going to get coldcocked by one of those scaled missles before I got home :shock:
Yes CB...that is the original Pompetus of Love. It was nice to take it out again. Have to say I think I like my sitting position abit better in the T140. Im closer (short arms too)to my front rod holder and it did seem like I sat up higher. Every inch counts :lol:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
whodog

Post by whodog »

Very nice! Good pics!

Quite a difference just a few hours can make; in the bite & the atmosphere. Nice to see friends getting together & enjoying themselves.
Michael
Never mind.......
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Man, I wish I didn't have to work early Sunday morning. I would love to have been there.

It sounds like all had a great time. Congrat Norm on your snook. The fins match your shirt. Terry, congrats on the red. Also, that sunset photo is stellar. Very nice.

Keep me informed, should you plan another night trip. Maybe I can work it out to come in to work a little late. :)
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Yes very nice night very good time! 8) Image Norm's Snook. Gave his rod a good bend. Image Proof of Terry's nice Red. I managed not to get skunked with a trusty Redfish hole I know there Got alot of fight from a 15 incher. for all that are interested it was a 2 tide day and the bite at sunset was good for all of us for a brief time so there is somemore theory for fishing 2 tide days.
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Sully

Post by Sully »

Yuuuuummmmmmm ....... Cheeeezitttts.
TRUE
Sully

Post by Sully »

Yuuuuummmmmmm ....... Cheeeezitttts.

Oh, and nice fish too!
TRUE
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Sully wrote:Yuuuuummmmmmm ....... Cheeeezitttts. !
If you are ever hungry or thirsty out on the water, see if I'm nearby. Soon, I'll need a bigger boat to carry all of my snacks. (and in which to fit an ever-widening butt)
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

And here I thought Cheezits only worked offshore.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch