Carbon fiber stabilizers

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
pbr

Carbon fiber stabilizers

Post by pbr »

In keeping with the ultralight carbon fiber canoe, I decided to build my stabilizers out of carbon tube. The cross bar will be 3/4" O.D. the down struts to the lobster bouy will be only 1/4". I plan to just bolt them to the gunnels. Wont get the tube until August but will supply pics when it is done. I think it will be strong enough, I know it will be light.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Well painted the lobster bouys flourescent yellow, put a bad ass snook graphic on them, and glued the 1/4" carbon rod into each one. Just waiting for the 3/4" six foot long carbon tube, so I can attach the bouys, simply drill a hole in the tube and slide the rods in using s/s donut clamps to hold it together but still allow adjustment. Looks like it will be plenty strong and not weigh much more than 1.5 pounds.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Also decided to make it come apart in two pieces for easy transport, so will cut the tube in half and glue in a solid fiberglass rod in one tube so can slide on the other tube and then bolt on to the gunnels.
Rik

Post by Rik »

pictures please!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

Got the carbon tube and put it all together. Going to clamp the tube to the gunnels to find the right position tomorrow with a little seatrial before bolting it down. Wil get some pics and put them up.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

interesting, cant wait for the pics.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Sorry no pics yet still fiddling, getting everything to line up is harder than anticipated, also ended up shortening the length from 6 ft span to 5 ft. span, dont need that much stability just want them as a safety valve for standing up. Definetly some downside, more windage, something for fish line to get caught, gets a little in the way of anchor trolley, more set up time, hope to get some pics this week.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Well got it all put together, and while they allow me to stand up in the canoe, I just dont like the way they feel, takes away from the stealthyness, since they do hit the water when paddling no matter what, more windage, and in the end after standing more I realized I just dont need to that much, so....nice experiment but not going to use them. Anybody that wants them let me know, I will sell them for $50, have about $125 invested.

[img][img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x275 ... ics037.jpg[/img][/img]
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I think the problem is that your paddle is all crooked.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
pbr

Post by pbr »

Yea it is, I set the blades a 60 degrees so the blade in the air is in the feathered position, really makes paddling in the wind a lot easier, highly recommend it.
Shep

Post by Shep »

pbr wrote:Yea it is, I set the blades a 60 degrees so the blade in the air is in the feathered position, really makes paddling in the wind a lot easier, highly recommend it.
Tried that today (now that I have a paddle that can do it) and even though it wasn't windy, I got used to it quickly and could see how it would make a difference in the wind.
New place, new fishing adventures.