Now I understand....

Flamingo to Big Bend
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Now I understand....

Post by Norm »

I had my memory refreshed today. I have had no encounters with Tarpon since I was about 16 We use to hook up very small (5-10lb) Tarpon in Ft Pierce on a bass streamer in very narrow mosquito control canals. Never landed one, and you were lucky if you got more than one jump before they broke you off.
Today...Randy and I fished The Grand Cucaracha. Lots of small baits early, no mullet, and nothing was chasing the bait. We fished the inside first. Came out and took a break...finally saw a couple of tailers, but no takers :(
Moved out further, ran into a guy in one of those Gladesman skiffs. He had caught about 10 bluefish that he said ran about 20-23 inches. Finally caught one small trout and then another when I caught some movement out in front of me about 50yards. I also had a couple of dolphin cruising by, but I kept watching that spot. Yep...there it was again...THAR they BLOWS...juvy tarpon ( I carded them :roll: ) My first encounter on this coast. I quickly moved up closer...damn, all I had to throw was a mirrowminnow on my Tiera 2000...What the hell am I doing :roll: ...I throw any way :lol: The lure had barely hit the water when wham..one of the Tarpon hits it, she rolls on her side and then just as quickly she is gone :cry: JEEZUS...what a rush :!: Glad Im in fairly good shape because my heart nearly jumped out of my chest :shock:
Randy and I stalked this little group for about an hour. I had no more hits from them, but on one stalk...Randy hollered, FISH ON :!: He was about 10 yrds from me and when I looked up...his rod was bent over double...just as quickly the water exploded and this Tarpon is flying thru the air not more than 10yards in front of him. I started reaching for my camera...but he was gone in an instant. Just enough to make two old men cry. Now I understand you guys who have the addiction for those creatures. No matter the size, there just is a certain majesty about them that transends normal fishing.
On a side note, can some of you more learned ones who know them better...about how much would a Tarpon that is between 3-3 1/2 ft long weigh?
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
whodog

Post by whodog »

Way cool for you!! 8)

Glad to hear you had a good trip.
Michael
Never mind.......
Shep

Post by Shep »

Sounds good Norm. Mabye next time you'll get to land one.
New place, new fishing adventures.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Very cool, Norm and Randy.

Are there more juves in the Bay area this year or are they just spreading out into more locations?
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

Hey,sounds like you guys had a blast out there today,cool.
I am too old to die young.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Sober up Norm...Those were lady fish!

Did you get my email?
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

about how much would a Tarpon that is between 3-3 1/2 ft long weigh?
100lbs... He was more like 6 ft long ...Just kidding :lol:
What a rush!!..the only thing I can liken it to is stalking a pope and young buck and finally getting a shot off complete with the ...oh crap I missed.

I would have to go to way out forum for the expletives I was screaming..

Suffice it to say I have got to get one boatside. :!:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club