5%
A little of both
49%
Leave me alone and figure it out yourself
24%

Total votes: 37

seeinred

Post by seeinred »

This is my favorite time of year to fish, negative low tides, depressions on the flats and curly tailed jigs = redfish, snook and trout.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

seeinred wrote:This is my favorite time of year to fish, negative low tides, depressions on the flats
And hardly anyone else out fishing.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

As long as the water isn't extremely cold, the worse the weather the better the fishing is.

There are a mix of opportunities inshore from the protected waters to the exposed flats.

I'll usually launch a little later in the day that I do the rest of the year but otherwise I am out there almost as often as I am April through November.

UT talked about scouting. Seeinred talked about negative lows. You'll learn more about your fishing areas in these situations that will benefit your fishing year round. Just take your fig newtons with you to be safe.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

I'll just head back to the big bend. :wink:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
rich

Post by rich »

Winter is my favorite time of year to fish the water is clear we get negative low tides and very few boats. I fish in the rivers dead sticking top water plugs it's a blast look for small spring's that popup in the middle of the river or on undercut banks. My personal best snook was 43" it was 28 degrees out I had ice on my boat there was a school of snook in this spring nailing topwater. Anyone who says snook won't bite when it's cold are fishing the wrong spot's. You just have to take extra care with those winter snook keep them in the warm water and make it a fast fight. Pinch your barbs and never ever take them out of the water unless you plan on taking one home for dinner.

It's also a great time to fish the back areas of Cockroach on a strong outgoing tide. :wink:
Last edited by rich on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

There are no fish and no water in the Big Bend during the winter...
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Back to the canals and rivers. I've got a few places staked out for winter fishing this year that should produce good reds and snook. Maybe even a trip up the Peace River for tarpon.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

The fish all move SOTE. There are very few N. of Blind Pass, one North of Honeymoon. Especially none anywhere near St. Mark's.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mako

Post by Mako »

this winter, I'll be exploring some rivers and creeks for snook and baby poons.

Reds can still be found on the flats if the water is not too cold.

in January of this year I had my best days catching reds on the flats
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

My plan is the same as always:

- go to warmer waters whenever I can
- stay away from using waders to the best of my ability to stay warm without 'em.
- appreciate that the fish, like me, don't like getting up early in the colder months.
- enjoy the beautiful winter sunsets.
- try some new lures, but refer back to the trusty fishing journal, tides, and solunar tables.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Yakpappy

Post by Yakpappy »

The good part of fishing the Bend in the winter is you don't need to bother with bringing your kayak.........you can just walk wherever you want, and the mud keeps your legs warm all the way up to your thighs. For some of you vertically-challenged folks, you might want to bring a snorkle :wink:
Life is Good. Paul