My first trip-And first post!

Flamingo to Big Bend
Kcrancer

My first trip-And first post!

Post by Kcrancer »

Hello all. I just recieved my first kayak yesterday (BIC KALAO-Fishing) and am about to go fishing on it for the first time. I'm like a kid on Chistmas morning, I plan to go to Key Vista Park which is just a shade north of the Anclote Power Plant.

Has anyone fished this area before? If so where would you suggest around here?

Also I'm somewhat bait-dumb so what would you guys suggest? You tell me exactly what to buy and I'll get it. Serriosuly all I've ever had any luck with is live shrimp, but I'd like to start using lures effectively.

Also a fishing report and review of this kayak will follow!

Thanks so much -KC
Mako

Post by Mako »

welcome...come down tonight at 7 to the BACK Club meeting at Bill Jackson's in Pinellas Park....many of your questions could be answered there :)
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I haven't fished that exact area...congrats on the new kayak....but the easy lures to learn are jigs and spoons. Buy some 1/8 oz jig heads, some green/chartreuse, root beer and white 3 to 4 inch bodies (paddle tail, curl tail, shad, jerk baits...etc). And a couple of small weedless gold spoons. Use the spoons to cast and retrieve working all areas you find of interest. Work the jigs bounced off the botton with small twitches of the rod tip.

When I first went from live shrimp to lures, I started off using the DOA Shrimp which became my confidence lure for redfish. I then learned to use jigs for trout, then spoons for redfish and then topwaters for many species. But keep it simple, focus on learning not only which lures but more about the areas you are fishing.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Erick wrote:I haven't fished that exact area...congrats on the new kayak....but the easy lures to learn are jigs and spoons. Buy some 1/8 oz jig heads, some green/chartreuse, root beer and white 3 to 4 inch bodies (paddle tail, curl tail, shad, jerk baits...etc). And a couple of small weedless gold spoons. Use the spoons to cast and retrieve working all areas you find of interest. Work the jigs bounced off the botton with small twitches of the rod tip.

When I first went from live shrimp to lures, I started off using the DOA Shrimp which became my confidence lure for redfish. I then learned to use jigs for trout, then spoons for redfish and then topwaters for many species. But keep it simple, focus on learning not only which lures but more about the areas you are fishing.
Nice, concise advice Eric. Wish you were on the board when I converted to arti's. ...think you were on sabattical then. Sure would have made my lure fishing curve a bit easier, and left my wallet fuller. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

You need one Mirrodine (Mash the barbs)
Gold Spoon (Johnsons or Uncle Mikes)
Jig heads (Strike King, Mission fishin, DOA)
Some white DOA paddle tails or Glow.

As for the area I can't say i've never been there.

Also please spare us the vertically hung or dead fish pictures.

And for GODS sake have a safe trip and file a float plan.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

The flats there are loaded with trout, reds and Tarpon next month, mullet are a good indicator of fish activity it is a good tactic to follow the schools. . Start with the lures mentioned the traditional color is red head white body. I also have great success with black top gold side topwater plugs.
Kcrancer

Post by Kcrancer »

Thanks so much... you guys are great.
ajb293

Post by ajb293 »

I caught my first redfish today on a weedless hooked Gulp Jerk Shad in "chatuerese" color (looks like glow in the dark). The redfish nailed it as soon as it hit the water first cast. Few bites after no more hook ups. The only problem / annyoance with this bait is that ANYTHING will hit gulps including the pin fish / snake fish which are too small to hook but will sometimes make a convincing tug on your lure.
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

Is there a place to put in at Key Vista Park? We put in at Anclote Gulf Park and fished near Key Vista last Fri. but didn't do very well. The area looks really good though, so I'm blaming our bad luck on the full moon. :roll: I will definitely go back there when I'm off next week.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?
kspops

Post by kspops »

Key Vista is a great place to fish. I used to wade fish the area before I got my kayak. When I fished there with it, I would launch from the Gulf Park up the road. It has been a while since I have fished that area due to the boat traffic on Anclote river. The river has some good areas to fish also, just be careful around the Channel. If I remember right, it is about a 1/4 mile to the beach at Key Vista, unless you launch in to the 'creek'. Just watch the tides.
Another good place to launch north of there is Green Key. Nice flats to the North and South, plus some mangrove channels and more. Again, watch the tides, or you may have a walk. Or farther north is Brasher park.
Now that the PFTS is done for the season, I can get back to my "home" waters. :)
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
Kcrancer

Post by Kcrancer »

Huh, where is Green Key? Thanks for the tips by the way!
VFTG

Post by VFTG »

Green Key is at the end of Green Key Road which is North of Gulf Harbors on US 19. The name of the park is Robert K. Rees Memorial Park.
Victor

Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?