Flamingo to Big Bend
Heywood

Paddle Around the Bay - Day 11 Report 5/31/08

Post by Heywood »

Paddle Around the Bay

Day 11

Courtney Campbell to Double Branch Creek

“Frightening Start”

Well this morning got off to an unusual and scary start. After dropping my truck and Kens car off at our destination, Peter and I were following Norm in his truck when all of a sudden as we were rounding a corner on Hwy 60, Norms kayak, “Big Stuff” slid out of the back of his truck. It was like watching something in slow motion. It just dropped out of the back, hit the road and slid down from his lane into ours. Thankfully it did not cartwheel or that no one was behind him. It couldn’t have happened at a worse spot, right in the middle of a corner and a construction zone. Jumping out, I grabbed his Native and ran down the road to a spot where I could throw it up on top of the road barriers and get myself out of the road.

Safely out of the road, Peter and I got it up on his SUV and meet the rest of the crew at the ramp. After reliving our near miss, we all loaded up and were on the water. Our plan for today was to launch from the Courtney Campbell boat ramp, paddle across towards the mouth of Rocky Creek, fish that area for awhile, then head towards Double Branch Creek.

Joining me today on Day 11 was;

Norm

Dan

Peter

Ken

Once across, we spread out inside the mouth of Rocky Creek. My first cast in what looked like a very “Snooky” spot with a Super Spook Jr. got pounced on just as soon as it hit the water. Immediately I knew it was a nice fish, but not a snook. Turns out it was a big jack. (Sorry no fish pictures today) Well, at least the skunk was off, but it wasn’t what I was hoping for. I’ve been on a slump the last few trips, today would be no different. None of us would catch any quality fish today. Actually though, that’s ok, its all about putting some miles in for a good cause.

For those of you that are not familiar with Tampa Bay, this is an aerial view of our route. This is what is called Upper Tampa Bay, “UTB”.

Looking out of the mouth of Rocky Creek, which was our first stop.

This was just the other side of what is referred to a “Cut A”. I was hoping for the big cigarette boat that had been cruising around to come back through here, but no luck. I did see what I thought was about a 5 foot shark swimming on this flat.

Peter inside of “Cut A”.

Some of the wildlife hanging around checking us out.

It seems I can never get close enough to these ducks to get a really good close up of them.
These were way back in a secluded little bay, inside of Double Branch Creek.

I just thought this was a good photo.

I have to give a big “Thank You” out to my buddy Chuck. He let me use his trailer today and it sure was appreciated. We loaded up all the kayaks for the drive back to the boat ramp. Once again Chuck, Thank you very much, and thanks to Norm, Dan, Peter and Ken for joining me.

Well, it was a very strange day. We got off to a scary start, but thankfully no one got hurt. The fishing was very poor on a morning it should have been better. Not sure why. We did 7.7 miles today, bringing the total for the trip to 80.5 miles completed. One more leg and I can turn the corner and start heading downhill towards the finish.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

WOW, that not the way to start the morning out. I am glad that the "unsinkable" Mista Big Stuff came thru in one piece, and that no one got hurt.

We hope to be able to join up for another leg soon, but it probably won't be until July sometime before our boats see the water again. :cry:
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

Glad to hear nobody got hurt and Mista Big Stuff is unscathed 8)

I like your hat, Dan! 8)

Great report, Bill. I hope to join you on one of your remaining trips!
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23294&st

Post by Norm »

Frankly, the start was about as exciting as I would like it to ever be :roll: We can laugh now, but I'm soooo glad no one was hurt and nothing was damaged.
I did manage to have one exciting fishing moment. I was in Rocky Creek, and I knew there were some large fish lurking since I had seen the wakes. I was throwing my fav, a Zara Puppy, when the wake came after my lure. I kept it moving and it got hit, I paused a moment to see if there was a hookup, then moved it again...Wham, got hit again....it was now only about 10 ft off my bow. That was it :( A little while later I hooked this baby.
I guess the karma was abit off for the day. If you will look close in the picture, you will see a small dark spot on the heel of my hand just below my thumb. A lady fish I caught left me with that when he jumped and the treble hook caught my hand and ripped it thru the skin :evil:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Bill, the pleasure was all mine hanging out with you guys for one of the legs of your journey. I can't remember a day on the water I saw so many fish and didn't get a bite.
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

The pleasure was mine Dan, it must have been the "Gin Clear Water" or "They were'nt hungry".

Anyway, it just felt good to be out on the water. :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote: it must have been the "Gin Clear Water" or "They were'nt hungry".
If you'd had one of those Mirrodine XL's, you'd all have had multiple slams.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Or if you wouldnt take Mako with you.....then multiple slams also.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Mako

Post by Mako »

Erick wrote:Or if you wouldnt take Mako with you.....then multiple slams also.
hey, go catch your silly freshwater fish :wink:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160