NC Kings

Let's hear reports from other places.
uncdub13

NC Kings

Post by uncdub13 »

Been trying to take advantage of the nearshore fall king bite along the Cape Fear, NC coast these last couple of weeks. Doesnt seem like too many people catch them from kayaks around here, so it's nice to have you guys' reports from the Gulf as motivation. My goal has been to get one over 30lbs, but i've only managed fish from the upper teens to mid 20's thus far. Pulled the hooks on a smoker last week, but our season is probably a cold front or two away from being finished, so I'm not sure how many more shots i'll get this year.

Anyhow, here's a taste of some of the action. Slow-trolling live baits has been the method of choice, but i'll pull dead cigar minnows or diving plugs if bait is hard to catch.

First things first, net some menhaden..

Made a little livewell out of a cooler for this season. Works great and makes my time spent on the water much more efficient. The days of dragging around a flow-troll out there and stopping fishing to catch more bait are long gone.

Sorry, some of these photos are horrible quality, but when you're bumming photos from nearby boats you take what you can get.

A little by-catch..

This was on the first day of the US Open, one of the biggest King tournies in the country with almost 500 boats this year. I got a lot of looks and questions that day. Those center console rocketships were pretty courteous for the most part, even with all that money on the line. All the tiny barely visible dots on the horizon are boats too.

Hooked up, just after the initial run from a 24 pounder..

I'm really not a huge fan of eating those mercury missiles, so i've given the majority of the fish i've kept to friends who really seem to love it. Usually if i eat it, i put a little lemon juice and old bay on it and bake for 20 minutes or so until it flakes. Then i'll mash it up with a fork and substitute it for crab meat in various recipes. Crab cakes and dip turn out pretty darn good like this. Give it a try.
ryan
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Damn, those are some nice Kings.

We used to vacation at Windy Hill beach every year during the kingfish run. Of course we fished off the pier which is no longer there. I had some good times there growing up.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Other than the t-shirt in the last photo, nice pics.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Hamrhdz

Post by Hamrhdz »

Nice shots.
Nice fish.

I have to ask,
What is the rubber mallet for?
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Erick wrote:Other than the t-shirt in the last photo, nice pics.
Am i sensing bitterness from the current football season or fast-approaching basketball season? Or just wolfpack lack of success in general?? :lol:
Hamrhdz wrote:I have to ask,
What is the rubber mallet for?
To help Mr. Cobe relax in case he wants to show his face and come aboard.
ryan
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Sweet fish again Ryan! Hopefully these cold fronts are delayed a bit for ya so you can get that 30lber. What diving plugs have worked for ya up there?
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

DouGR81 wrote:What diving plugs have worked for ya up there?
Big rapala x-raps or yozuri crystal minnow deep divers mostly.
ryan
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

uncdub13 wrote:
DouGR81 wrote:What diving plugs have worked for ya up there?
Big rapala x-raps or yozuri crystal minnow deep divers mostly.
Sweet I've been hooking some on a 1oz Krocodile spoon and the small rattletraps. I'll have to try one of those xraps.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Sweet feish.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch