Lake Manatee

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Lake Manatee

Post by ChrisR »

Does anyone know where I can find a topographical map for Lake Manatee? Thinking about going speck fishing over there sometime soon. I have never targeted these fish, but I understand I should look for deeper water to try to find them. Thanks.
bluebill

Lake manatee

Post by bluebill »

I fished Lake Manatee a few times in 2005 near the upper (east) end.

I caught some bass from a kayak casting right up against the weedy shoreline.

It would be nice to find a map of bottom topo. Some agency probably has such information but who?

Watch for the alligators and let us know if you find the "specks"
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I would check with Manatee County Utilities to start, it's their lake. We've had good luck putting in by the fish camp at the East end and going back up past the SR 64 bridge.

If you could locate some old topo maps from before the dam being built you could use those as well. The deepest areas would be in the old river channel.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks Chief. Good ideas. I'll let you know if I can dig anything up.

Post by 0119 »

Google Steve Gibson's Blog and read all his info on Lake Manatee. He has targeted specks and hybrids which are deeper water fish and should have some useful info. Also the head park ranger at Oscar Shearer is a Lake Manatee expert. Ive had very good success targeting shoreline structure for Bass. Very nice place to fish, I usually dont see a soul the entire trip on the water.