Indian River/ML/NMZ

Trootin

Indian River/ML/NMZ

Post by Trootin »

Im heading over to the east coast on Tues nite, and was planning on fishing the NMZ one day and the river or lagoon the other days. Ive been scoping it on google earth but I still need to find launch points.

Can anyone recommend good launch spots/general areas to fish? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Team Young & Good Looking
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Have you looked at this? Lots of good info.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17924
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Let the wind be your guide. Sometimes it can really blow this time of year. The upper ML has lots of places to stay out of the wind. Kars Park on the Banana River is now open to the public for a small fee you can launch directly into the NMZ, this saves you about 2 miles of paddling.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
mudfoot

Post by mudfoot »

just so you know, duck season starts Saturday.

Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays are the only days open for hunting on the refuge itself from a half hour before sunrise till 12pm. All other days are closed for hunting so you'll be clear to roam without worry in all areas.

North end of the lagoon and the NMZ is clear from hunters as no hunting is permitted in those areas.

The south end and east side of the lagoon, Peacocks Pocket, Shiloh, and L Pond areas will be where the shooting is at for the most part, but keep in mind there will be people hunting the river itself.

Watch for occupied blinds... usually guys carry a little orange flag to wave at you to warn you off of their spread, so keep an eye out for those and give them plenty of room.

(seriously, the NMZ has been really good this past week. baitfish patterns have been the ticket)

mud-
"YOU GOT NUTTIN!"
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Thanks alot guys, this is great info.
Team Young & Good Looking
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

Snookfinatic, Campbrannon and I were on IRL north of Haulover in September. I paddled over to a shallow area to look for snook and paddled right up to a couple of hunters in a camoflauged blind. Scared the poop out of me when I saw them 50' way but I tried to look cool as if I had seen them for a long time.

Be careful of getting in the way of low flying ducks.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
jd

Post by jd »

I heard Cameron's first NMZ red was over 40". 8)
I have trouble acting normal.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

jd wrote:I heard Cameron's first NMZ red was over 40". 8)
Very cool!!
I hope he took pictures.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Is Kars Park open to anyone to use?
flexyaker

Post by flexyaker »

Yes, KARS is open to the public. There is a fee to go in, I think is 5 bucks.