Kayak color

Mako

Post by Mako »

earth tones (sand) for me so far but I might try red or blue when I get the T160

one thing for sure though....never yellow, it's too slow :wink:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
travisc

Post by travisc »

I like the yellow not only for being seen on the water, but more importantly, when I am hauling it in the back of my pickup. The guy/girl behind you will notice you a lot quicker with a huge yellow yak pointing directly at them. If that's not enough, the pulsating bicycle tail light let's them know.

Of course, there's a few jackasses that like to pull right up to me at stoplights. Practically touching my stern with their windsheild.
Wilderness Systems Ride 135
Mohawk16

Post by Mohawk16 »

Rik wrote:I prefer colors that blend in. I'd rather not be seen. I'll get myself out of the way of any power boats.
I'm with Rik. I'd rather be as subtle as I can. Too many people have to get too close.
GOD BLESS AMERICA
USMC - VIETNAM VET
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

After freezing on the water today I think I'll get a black kayak. At least it would produce some heat in the winter.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Kayakpirate

New to Kayaking, What is the 303 stuff you use?

Post by Kayakpirate »

I have several friends all of which own Hobie kayaks. They do express those darker colors get very hot in the sun. I yield on the side of safety and got the Hobie Outback (sand color). Curiouse.... being new to Kayaking, what can you tell me about this 303 stuff used on your Hobie Kayak?
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: New to Kayaking, What is the 303 stuff you use?

Post by Norm »

Kayakpirate wrote:I have several friends all of which own Hobie kayaks. They do express those darker colors get very hot in the sun. I yield on the side of safety and got the Hobie Outback (sand color). Curiouse.... being new to Kayaking, what can you tell me about this 303 stuff used on your Hobie Kayak?
It works :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Re: New to Kayaking, What is the 303 stuff you use?

Post by r3krobert »

Kayakpirate wrote:I have several friends all of which own Hobie kayaks. They do express those darker colors get very hot in the sun. I yield on the side of safety and got the Hobie Outback (sand color). Curiouse.... being new to Kayaking, what can you tell me about this 303 stuff used on your Hobie Kayak?
303 is a company that makes several different products, mostly for use on cars. What you want is called something like "space age protectant". They advertise it as sunscreen for your car.......body, tires etc. It's like ArmourAll
but better. I got mine at Boater's World or West Marine. Google 303 and their web site will have a list of dealers.
Bob
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Kayak color?? Simple. Yellow, orange or red if you want to be seen. Sand, green or camo if you're hiding from the guvmint. :D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

I have a sand colored kayak and really like that it doesn't show the wear adn tear and it does stay cool in the warmer months.

I have seen that 303 stuff before, but never looked into what it does. What is it for and how do you use it?
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

americanrobster wrote:I have seen that 303 stuff before, but never looked into what it does. What is it for and how do you use it?
Like sunscreen for plastic and other finished surfaces. We use a similar product for the polycarbonate lenses on the warning lights of our firetrucks. Simple to use, spray on and wipe down.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I did the manly thing. I said " Honey what color do you our new kayak to be." It is yellow.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Now that is funny.

It depended on the brand for me as all colors are not the same. But I like the more neutral colors. In the Wilderness boats I like the Sand....all mine are that color...and when I had my Malibu's I liked the grey.

If I remember correctly the formula for 303 isnt all that different than Armor All....it sure smells the same.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Kpmiggs

Post by Kpmiggs »

I have a red kayak. I just like the color red. I wish they had a black one with a big Steelers Logo on one side that would be cool since the are the best football franchise in all of Football. Don't even try to argue that 6 Rings baby and I was at the game to watch it all happen.
TEAM PENETRATION - We Like to set our hooks Deep!
Rik

Post by Rik »

There was a guy around here some years back that had a black Scupper Pro. I've never seen another black kayak.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I think I'll order a purple kayak.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Kpmiggs wrote:I have a red kayak. I just like the color red. I wish they had a black one with a big Steelers Logo on one side that would be cool since the are the best football franchise in all of Football. Don't even try to argue that 6 Rings baby and I was at the game to watch it all happen.
X100 Ken
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here We Go "Steelers".....Here we go......... 8)
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!