I put it on!

ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

No criticism here. Sounds like you took prudent measures, radio, pfd, etc. Probably we have all launched thinking the weather was going to hold but were later surprised. Hard to fault a guy for trying to fish. Glad you are able to tell the story. Thanks.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Rik wrote:
FlatsSteeler wrote:Ryan you didn't do anything wrong or dumb at all.......You assessed the situation, prepared for the worst, had all of the right equipment, and made it back home safe and sound........I am glad you posted this to show newbies what and how to handle yourself in a possible dangerous situation........I have seen perfect days go to hell in moments...........
ditto.

even tho I'd love to have the chance to call you stupid....
That is because some one might remind him of a trip to Moses Hole from the Skyway or a trip accross Sarasota Bay to Long Bar. But that would only be pointed out if Rik called you less then intelligent.
Credo quia absurdum
willemac
Supporter 2009 - 2012

Post by willemac »

Stuff happens, you were ready. Florida on the water anytime.
It's the other three quarters that can't be trusted!!!
Mac

Hobie AI
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29212&st

Post by Norm »

You made the right decisions when things turned bad on you...that doesn't qualify as stupid. There were several opportunities for you to make BAD decisions that could have ended very badly :!:
What would be deemed stupid is if you started strutting your crap and thinking you beat the man :wink:
WE as your friends...are just glad your okay 8)
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Rik

Post by Rik »

Redfisher wrote:Well I can tell you one valuable lesson I did learn. When you get scared by a loud crack of thunder,don't throw your Pop Tart. Put it in your pocket. You're going to want it later.
Okay, thank you, that was stupid.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

Actually if your rods and paddle or not sticking up in the air and laying down you are not more susceptable to being hit. Lightning will seek the fastest way to ground, but it is usually going to hit the highest thing in the area that can create a ion leader to low level cloud.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

pbr wrote:Actually if your rods and paddle or not sticking up in the air and laying down you are not more susceptable to being hit. Lightning will seek the fastest way to ground, but it is usually going to hit the highest thing in the area that can create a ion leader to low level cloud.
It does not have to be a direct strike to kill you. Lightning can electrify your house plumbing from 60 feet away. On the water it would be more intense.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
willemac
Supporter 2009 - 2012

Post by willemac »

When it comes to lighting, The Old Electrician said, "If you can't read it with a meter, get your ass on in the house".
It's the other three quarters that can't be trusted!!!
Mac

Hobie AI
Kayakpirate

Glad you made it back safe.

Post by Kayakpirate »

No matter when or where you go weather can change without notice. TAKE NOTE FOLKS anyone can get caught off guard! The key here was being prepared. You put on the PDF and attached the VHF radio. Out on the water a BAD situation can go WORSE or even TRAGIC in seconds. Being prepared for the worse gave back some control hopefully avoiding a more TRAGIC accident. We all know you wet your pants literally but well done a good example for all of us!
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.