spoons???

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
ray-uk

spoons???

Post by ray-uk »

hiya all, quick question on spoons for ya.

Do you have a particular colour you regularly use, or do water conditions/species/other, dictate your choice.

i am going to get myself some johnsons silver minnow weedless in both silver and gold, mainly for use over here, but i will be using them over there.

as per usual....just curious.

thanks
ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Ray,

There's a silver camp and a gold camp. I prefer gold but have stood next to 3 other guys using silver who were catching and I wasn't. I switched and started catching too.

My 2 cents - I think gold works better in darker water, silver in lighter water. Down in Sarasota Bay, gold is better. Silver seems to work better at Fort Desoto where there is a more direct path to the gulf.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

without question, you and everyone else should use GOLD spoons.

That way there will be a lot more fish for me to catch !!!
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

Following are some shamelessly blatent endorsements from members of our very own forum. :wink: I removed their names... so it could really be claimed I made them up.... but I didn't.

Personally, I've found silver or gold works equally well at a particular time. Sometimes silver, sometimes gold.

"My first choice and go-to lure is the (BLANK) Tackle Company gold shadtail. It's the closest thing to actual live bait, with a realistic scale-pattern that will fool any redfish, anywhere, anytime!"

An outdoor writer at an (un-named) magazine, likes the (BLANK)Tackle Company C-Twin in Rootbeer on 1/4 oz. jigheads for Fall and Winter inshore. "Reds, snook and trout, it doesn't matter, they can't resist the color combined with the unique action of the twin curly tail."

"My favorite spoon from the (BLANK) Tackle Company is the Eagle Feather. I always use the spoon with white feathers for catching Reds."
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Rik

Post by Rik »

Ray, I might mention that DL is the owner/operator/Grand PooBah/Silver Spoon Slinger Supreme of the silver spoon camp....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
flatskid89

Post by flatskid89 »

i think i might know who had the quotes Willyt :roll:
Perry
SnookKatcher

Post by SnookKatcher »

Both work Ray. I think RBL's take on water color has a lot of merit, with gold in stained/dark water, silver in clear water. The ( UN-blanked ) Big Fish Tackle Co. Huddle-spoon is a great spoon, gold weedless with a bucktail trailer. Made locally by skilled artesians of fine hand-made lures( :wink: ), the Reds and Snook love 'em. I'll make sure you get a few to try. The Johnson's, I modify with an added Crystalflash trailer, or add a small ( 1 1/2 inch ) tube lure body to the hook to better stabilize the wobble and add just a little bulk. If I'm not fishing where there are a lot of weeds, or for deeper water, I like gold or silver Gator spoons with the stock trebles taken off and replaced with a single Mustad hook, or a Gamakatsu circle hook. ( AWESOME winter big Snook lure! ) Johnson Sprite spoons ( silver ) I like to modify the same way. Less snags/better hookup's/easier releases. Lee.
"... this river don't go to Aintry..."
Sky Camo O.K. Drifter
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

Yeah, Perry, they do hit a little close to home for you.... He he he
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Ray the only spoon you'll need is the Quasi spoon mate :wink: , it will catch you all the main 3 species here.

I'd also bet it will be deadly on the pike and perch back home too.
It has a trailer hook and a unique action, which makes the trailer walk the dog, sub-surface.
Very effective lure and it has very quickly become my confidence lure for redfish, and unbelievably weedless, a big benefit this time of year, with so much loose and floating grass in the water. I was a died in the wool Johnsons fan, but i don't see myself buying any of those again!

As for color, I prefer silver blades myself, but only because I'm a DL wannabee! :wink:
Last edited by John on Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

lol Rik :lol:

By the way, I have been called a lot of things, but is Grand PooBah a good thing or a bad thing?
Dave
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

thanks gents, just over 6 weeks till i get there, think i'm sorted now with the lures i am gonna use. :wink:

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Hey ray.....I like both silver and gold in the Johnsons, obviously I have been field testing and using the Capt Mike's.....little different in that the body has various other colors. So far using gold/gold and working quite well (7 reds, 1 snook and 1 large shark in past two weekends on that lure, which is now gone since it is in the sharks mouth still). I do like having a silver with me though, it can be quite effective.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

1 large shark
was gonna use silver, but them fishys you have been playing with sound like fun, so am gonna go with gold. :wink:

ray.
Surf Monkey

Post by Surf Monkey »

If you like to fish with spoons, check these out. I started using them about a year ago and now I do not have any Johnson Spoons in my box, and I always went to the Johnson Gold weedless as my go-to bait.

I live in South Louisiana and fish a lot over oysters, shells, etc, and they are very durable.

http://www.nortonbrassrattler.com/
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You will have to sell me on that. 7 bucks + shipping is way too much. You can just about buy 2 Johnsons and since I use silver they last a good long time. last time I changed from Johnsons I got line twist (Capt. Mikes). Then I switched and and had hooks break (Nemire).
I'm not saying it's not a good product. It probably is but twice as good?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

I know there are a lot of good spoons out there but -- If it aint broke, don't fix it. Johnson's has been my spoon for quite a while and they seem to work ok.
Dave
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215