New Spoon from old Mike

Redboner

Post by Redboner »

I have been real happy and extremely successful with Capt Mike's spoons. Gold has been great for redfish when fished really slow in the winter and almost that slow in the summer. I have also caught some nice cobia by trolling the gold spoon near anything floating, and especially in the neughborhood of swimming turtles (not too close ). Another color that works well for me is pink for trout and snook.
I always have one tied on one rod and ready to go.
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Johnson's for me unless Rik comes up with those atomic spoons he had a ways back again.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Willy, not atomic. Willy Saltwater weedless spoons. The don't rust.

http://www.unexcelledfishing.com/shop.aspx?id=49

Another that I've had good luck with (in the no rust department) is from Lakeland Inc. They also had several patterns

http://www.lakelandinc.com/saltwater.htm

Lakeland is primarily a wholesaler so you have to call them to get small order pricing. Everything you see in the catalog is 'per 1,000'
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

As I said before I am a Capt Mike spoon fan and have a healthy supply as well as some of his new ones on the way.....BUT.........I really like the look of the Lakeland Weedless Rik just posted.......I may give them a try real soon....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

I might have to order a couple of those Willy spoons and check them out, but I have a good supply of the Capt Mikes and since I have had success with them I can't see giving them up.
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
Mako

Re: Spoon is it me???

Post by Mako »

Kayakpirate wrote:I guess it must be me! I just don't seem to have any luck ever using a spoon. I hear people catching reds with a spoon but can't seem to find my nitch landing anything using a spoon. Trolling, gig, walk the dog what is my problem?
there may not be any fish around when you're throwing the spoon...that could be a problem. Find a school of reds and just cast in their path and retrieve steadily...nothing fancy, that's it

good luck
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Kayakpirate wrote:I guess it must be me! I just don't seem to have any luck ever using a spoon. I hear people catching reds with a spoon but can't seem to find my nitch landing anything using a spoon. Trolling, gig, walk the dog what is my problem?
Im with ya on that one! I only throw one when the action is very slow. The way I see it...if Im not going to catch anything, Im going to cast really far!
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Mako wrote: Find a school of reds and just cast in their path and retrieve steadily...nothing fancy, that's it

good luck
While it is be nice to find schooling reds, many times they aren't schooled up, at least where I happen to be fishing. Spoons are excellent, probably my favorite, search lure. They cover a lot of water in a hurry (no, I don't work em slow),cast a country mile, and are way up there in the weedless catagory. Long casts+fairly fast retrieve=lots of real estate covered. That's important when looking for onesies and twosies. Once I find a school it's more a question of what they don't hit rather than what they do.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

Excellent point DaveR. Probably the best lure for finding reds, even if they are not schooling if you get one, throw to that general area again, you never know.
Patrick McManus
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Find a school of Mullet... :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

I finally got my first red on a spoon this past Saturday. I was working it quite slowly, a lot slower than I had the previous ton of casts with nothing. Glad I got the monkey off my back. :D
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Do you all fish this lure with the "O" ring still attached? I hate trying to an "O" ring. Seems like it will rough up the leader knot.

Also, has anyone tried using a swivel with Capt Mikes??
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

scotty14 wrote:Do you all fish this lure with the "O" ring still attached? I hate trying to an "O" ring. Seems like it will rough up the leader knot.

Also, has anyone tried using a swivel with Capt Mikes??

Don't need no stinkin swivel and yes, I use to split ring. Take what I say with a grain of salt since I don't use spoons very often. But when I caught my big momma redfish last month, I didn't find any problems with the leader contact on the split ring.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I put split rings on all of my hard baits and yes I use the one on the spoon.
Fish the Forgotten Coast.
Kayakpirate

I'm in for a nice set of spoons

Post by Kayakpirate »

Just to increase my options I going to order Capt Mike spoon set today. Thanks guys! Oh..... I agree having some Reds around will help :lol:
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.