Sunset, Moonrise, and a fun Cobia

Flamingo to Big Bend
TerryW

Sunset, Moonrise, and a fun Cobia

Post by TerryW »

Oh, my.

I just wasn't prepared. Not thinking at all. DUH, Terry, Cobia follow big rays.

It started out with no breeze at all and then a pleasant "keep the bugs off breeze." I was fishing alone at Perico. The evening was just beautiful. One of those memorable evenings on the water.

There wasn't much going on at first & then I saw a big ray leap out in the channel not far away. I'm still quite skiddish about splashes & big rays since I was knocked out of the kayak last year. (Totally pizzes me off so I keep trying to get over that fear.)

I caught a few small trout and saw a bazillion needle fish on top of the water. (What is it with those things swimming with their snouts up in the air? ) And then I saw several large Eagle Rays working the area. Hmmm. By myself. Sun setting. Big rays. LET'S GET OVER THIS FEAR.

So I hang out with the rays "working" all around me, wings showing, big water pushes, etc. And then I get angry because those rays are frightening MY trout and reds. So I decide to take some casting practice at the rays. (It's fun to see them scoot off on top of the water making a big wake.)

A few casts later with my Spook Jr produces a BLAMMO - fishon the second the Spook hits the ray. Line screaming, I assume I have the large Eagle Ray on and am going to either get a wild ride or lose a Spook.

And then the "thing" starts coming right at my kayak. Ok.......reel in the line, no problem, but I'm not thinking it's a ray. And it wasn't. Right at the kayak when I see what I have on and start to pull it up, the 24" Cobia gets off. (Thankfully)

What a rush. That was my first Cobia from the kayak. And I was just not in the zone and thinking that when there are big rays, DUH, there may be Cobia. I did make more casts just in case, but no more Cobia.

Here are some photos of the gorgeous evening. None of the fishing, however.

35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Wow Terry. Sounds like an awesome evening. Must have been fun to hook up with a cobia out there. :D
Redboner

Post by Redboner »

Nice report Terry, I remember reading about your ray experience a while back. I imagine it was a bit spooky when that cobia started running straight at you. I know those cobia can be a good fight from a kayak .

Looks like you have been logging quite a bit of time on the water. I know we talked about getting together for some fishing in Punta Gorda at the Peace River a couple of years ago, before I decided to take off on a 3 year camping and fishing trip. Maybe we can get together and do that some time. I am going to be getting out a lot and could always use a few pointers.
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary"
Patrick McManus
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

Excellent report, Terry!
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

I took my dog outside after the sun had set and noticed how calm it was. I knew I was missing out.

Glad you found that Cobia!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

Great report ! Thanks Terry. I've gotten close to those rays and wondered if they would flip a kayak or stay clear...Now I know :shock:
(Hobie fish Outfitter Tandem 08') Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown
DRock

Post by DRock »

Way to get back on the horse (or kayak). If I had been knocked out of my kayak by a ray I'd probably end up in the fetal position in my kayak very time I saw one leave the water!!!

Nice job with the cobia on topwater, too!
Derick
Tan W.S. Ride 135